FlyingNoodle

FlyingNoodle

If a change or preparation module uses Ash.Changeset.get_argument/2 or Ash.Query.get_argument/2 (or any of the other get_argument functions) should such a module then check the existence and validity of the arguments again?

Example:

# in the resource
defmodule MyResource do
  actions do
    update :do_something do
      argument :foobar, :string, allow_nil?: false
      change NaiveCustomChange # or the other one, whatever
    end
  end
end
defmodule NaiveCustomChange do
  use Ash.Resource.Change

  @impl true
  def change(changeset, opts, _context) do
    foobar_from_args = Ash.Changeset.get_argument(changeset, :foobar)
    Ash.Changeset.change_attribute(changeset, :foobar, foobar_from_args)
  end
end

vs

defmodule PessimisticCustomChange do
  use Ash.Resource.Change

  @impl true
  def change(changeset, opts, _context) do
    case Ash.Changeset.get_argument(changeset, :foobar) do
      foobar when is_binary(foobar) ->
        Ash.Changeset.change_attribute(changeset, :foobar, foobar)

      _ ->
        Ash.Changeset.add_error(changeset,
          field: :foobar,
          message: "needs the argument :foobar"
        )
    end
  end
end

Does anybody have any reason to prefer one over the other?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The values from Ash.Changeset.get_attribute and Ash.Changeset.get_argument are only provided when the original value is actually valid according to the type and constraints declared. however, by default, validations are run regardless of if previous validations passed or failed. For example:

argument :foo, :string, constraints: [max_length: 10]

validate Something # <- will only ever see `foo` as `nil` or a string with max length 10
change SomethingElse # <- called even if the previous validation failed

The concept here is that you want to provide multiple validation errors to the caller in one pass.

So in general, you just want your changes to be conditional when an action is written this way. i.e something like:

value = Ash.Changeset.get_argument(changeset, :foo)

if is_nil(value) do
  ...
end

or

case Ash.Changeset.fetch_argument(changeset, :foo) do
  {:ok, value} -> ...
  :error -> ...
end

However, what you can do instead is this:

validate Something, only_when_valid?: true
change SomethingElse, only_when_valid?: true

or, programmatically in the change module

if changeset.valid? do
  ...
else
  ...
end

Which ensures that in each call, the changeset is “fully valid” up until that point.

We are considering making only_when_valid?: true the default in Ash 4.0

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews