CharlesO

CharlesO

I’m looking to improve this pattern.
It is a pattern I use in a lot of my projects.

defmodule Handler do
    def handle_request(data) do
        response = apply(@some_module_from_config, :parse, [data])

        # do_something_with_response(response)
        ...
    end
end

I then have customer specific implementations of :parse in separate modules, for example

defmodule CustomerA do
    def parse(data) do
        # specific parsing of this data for Customer-A
    end
end

defmodule CustomerB do
    def parse(data) do
         # specific parsing of this data for Customer-B
    end
end

This works, but can it be improved?

Is there a benefit for example to have a @behaviour in Handler which defines :parse and other functions

Then each Customer module no implements use Handler

Please are their better patterns for doing this?

Thanks.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

Eiji

Eiji

No need to use apply as it’s much more useful if you have function name stored in variable.

`        response = @some_module_from_config.parse(data)`

Not only it would not give you any benefit, but it would also be wrongly used.

In Handler module you have to define callbacks and / or macrocallbacks. You use @behaviour attribute in CustomerA and CustomerB modules. In this tiny example it’s not important at all, but in general you use this to make sure that all callbacks are implemented as Elixir gives compilation warning otherwise.

egze

egze

I also recommend watching the keynote from José https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agkXUp0hCW8
He goes into the topic what to use when.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

How does your code branch on input data and decides which module to use?

I just recently had to do this and since I did not have a lot of modules and not too many input shapes I just made a router / dispatcher module that basically pattern-matches on the input and calls different module + function combo i.e.

module = Commands.detect_by_args(input)
module.perform(args)

Where Commands.detect_by_args/1 simply uses several pattern-matching function heads.

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

I’m trying to understand you point sir.

Say I have more functions in handler module, and i want to ensure that every customer module implements all the functions correctly, then just like GenServer we coukd use @behavior correct?

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

In my case i have the same app deployed to different customers.

Each customer has specific processing they need.

I implement a module per customer, then in config, i have a customer_module_name setting.

In this module, i do the customer specific processing.

The main app, looks for module name, then calls a function: process_data, which every customer module is expected to have implemented.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Sounds like what I did but with multiple dispatchers (one per customer).

Why are you not satisfied with that solution?

Eiji

Eiji

Behaviours are well documented, so it would be easiest to check it out. For example here is a quote I was referring to:

If a module adopting a given behaviour doesn’t implement one of the callbacks required by that behaviour, a compile-time warning will be generated.

Source: Behaviours | Typespec reference @ Elixir’s documentation

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

The major benefit is compile-time checking:

  • if CustomerA says @behaviour Handler but doesn’t supply callbacks with the correct arities, the compiler will complain
  • (sometimes) Dialyzer will be able to prove that a function’s implementation fails to match the behaviour’s spec

As a side bonus, libraries like mox can use that same behaviour for their definitions.

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

Please can you point to a simple reference implementation?
I’ve not written this type of behavior module before.
I understand it requires macros, yes?

thomas642daniel

thomas642daniel

Hello,

I love the idea of using behaviors here; it’s like setting a standard for a well-dressed party—everyone knows the dress code!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews