createdbypete

createdbypete

Edit: Before copying and pasting anything into your project, it seems like Webpack v5 is needed to build Alpine v3. See posts below.

While trying out the recent V3 release of Alpine.js (:partying_face: Thanks/Congrats Caleb Porzio) in a LiveView project I noticed dropdown menus would be visible on page load.

Commenting out liveSocket.connect() and the Alpine stuff worked again so it pointed to an issue with when LiveView takes over.

TL;DR Besides the new install instructions and upgrade guide it looks like the onBeforeElUpdated code used we all will have used for V2 needs to be changed to the following:

// Before… (Alpine V2)
onBeforeElUpdated(from, to) {
  if (from.__x) { window.Alpine.clone(from.__x, to) }
}

// After… (Alpine V3)
onBeforeElUpdated(from, to) {
  if (from._x_dataStack) { window.Alpine.clone(from, to) }
}

This change has been extracted from the Livewire repo and appears to get things working again after LiveView connects but I haven’t run any extensive tests beyond my dropdown menus working again

PR for the changes need to Support alpine V3 on Livewire for the curious.

Hope this helps someone else out.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

cmo

cmo

can you share your webpack.config.js? I get the following error when upgrading to V3. It doesn’t like the ? in the function name.

ERROR in ./node_modules/alpinejs/dist/module.esm.js 3032:32
Module parse failed: Unexpected token (3032:32)
You may need an appropriate loader to handle this file type, currently no loaders are configured to process this file. See https://webpack.js.org/concepts#loaders
|     return clone2;
|   };
>   let hide = () => el._x_undoIf?.() || delete el._x_undoIf;
|   effect3(() => evaluate2((value) => {
|     value ? show() : hide();
 @ ./js/app.js 24:0-30 86:16-22 87:0-6
 @ multi ./js/app.js
dblack

dblack

I was seeing the same issue @cmo. I just updated the rest of my node packages (including webpack to v5) and it’s come good. I’m not sure which of the deps needed updating, but my updated package.json looks like this:

{
  "repository": {},
  "description": " ",
  "license": "MIT",
  "engines": {
    "node": ">= 14.16.1"
  },
  "scripts": {
    "deploy": "NODE_ENV=production webpack --mode=production",
    "dev": "webpack --mode=development",
    "watch": "NODE_ENV=development webpack --mode=development --watch"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "@tailwindcss/forms": "^0.3.3",
    "alpinejs": "^3.0.6",
    "autoprefixer": "^10.2.6",
    "phoenix": "file:../deps/phoenix",
    "phoenix_html": "file:../deps/phoenix_html",
    "phoenix_live_view": "file:../deps/phoenix_live_view",
    "postcss": "^8.3.4",
    "tailwindcss": "^2.1.4",
    "topbar": "^1.0.1"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@babel/core": "^7.14.0",
    "@babel/preset-env": "^7.14.0",
    "babel-loader": "^8.2.2",
    "copy-webpack-plugin": "^8.1.1",
    "css-loader": "^5.2.0",
    "css-minimizer-webpack-plugin": "^1.3.0",
    "glob": "^7.1.7",
    "mini-css-extract-plugin": "^1.5.0",
    "postcss-loader": "^4.3.0",
    "sass": "^1.32.8",
    "sass-loader": "^11.0.1",
    "webpack": "5.36.0",
    "webpack-cli": "^4.6.0"
  }
}

and webpack.config.js:

const path = require('path');
const glob = require('glob');
const MiniCssExtractPlugin = require('mini-css-extract-plugin');
const CssMinimizerPlugin = require('css-minimizer-webpack-plugin');
const CopyWebpackPlugin = require('copy-webpack-plugin');

module.exports = (env, options) => {
  const devMode = options.mode !== 'production';

  return {
    entry: {
      'app': glob.sync('./vendor/**/*.js').concat(['./js/app.js'])
    },
    output: {
      path: path.resolve(__dirname, '../priv/static/js'),
      filename: '[name].js',
      publicPath: '/js/'
    },
    module: {
      rules: [
        {
          test: /\.js$/,
          exclude: /node_modules/,
          use: {
            loader: 'babel-loader'
          }
        },
        {
          test: /\.[s]?css$/,
          use: [
            MiniCssExtractPlugin.loader,
            'css-loader',
            'postcss-loader',
          ],
        },
        {
          test: /\.svg$/i,
          type: 'asset/inline'
        },
        {
          test: /\.(png|jpg|jpeg|gif)$/i,
          type: 'asset/resource',
        },
        {
          test: /\.(woff|woff2|eot|ttf|otf)$/i,
          type: 'asset/resource',
        },
      ]
    },
    plugins: [
      new MiniCssExtractPlugin({ filename: '../css/app.css' }),
      new CopyWebpackPlugin({
        patterns: [
          { from: 'static/', to: '../' }
        ]
      })
    ],
    mode: options.mode || 'production',
    optimization: {
      minimizer: [
        '...',
        new CssMinimizerPlugin()
      ]
    },
    target: 'node14.16',
    devtool: devMode ? 'source-map' : undefined
  }
};

All of which i borrowed from Use Webpack v5.x for asset bundling by acconrad · Pull Request #4310 · phoenixframework/phoenix · GitHub

createdbypete

createdbypete OP

Thanks @dblack I’m also on Webpack v5, seems that’s the issue here. I have confirmed in an example app that a default Phoenix 1.5.9 setup will not support Alpine v3 sadly. V3 is only ~a day old but it is now the default installed by NPM which might see more people caught out by this from now on.

cmo

cmo

Thanks. I was waiting for this PR before I upgraded to webpack5 or vite, but I might dive in early.

https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/pull/4337

dblack

dblack

How did you go? I noticed my js builds grew more than 10% after moving to webpack 5 and that config. I’m probably gonna roll back and wait until something a bit more official is released.

cmo

cmo

I’ve not tried yet. You might want to look at this person’s webpack 5 config:

happysalada

happysalada

One thing I’ve found out is that you can’t have alpine state as part of the <body> tag. Since liveview acts on the first child of the body, if you had

<body
   x-data="..."
>
   ...

you will have to add another div like

<body>
   <div
      x-data="..."
    >
     ...
   </div>

The previous was working with alpine v2, but with v3 you have to add the div.
Hope it helps someone.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews