sarat1669
I wanted to know which NoSQL databases offer official clients for elixir/erlang?
We currently have mongo as our database and the application is written in JAVA. We are considering porting it to elixir, but since mongo driver for elixir isn’t mature enough, we are looking for an alternative.
Which database are you using and what would you recommend?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone.
My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
AstonJ
What are your requirements? And… any reason why you wouldn’t want to use Postgres?
_Also did you see the MongoDB adapters here: Packages | Hex
sarat1669
We were having systems running on MySQL previously and chose mongo due to scalability issues. And postgres doesn’t natively provide sharding. I think postgres is more suited for read-heavy workloads. Our workloads are more write-heavy, so we chose Mongo.
I checked the adapters for mongo and most of them aren’t maintained anymore.
Also from the author of the package:
Ankhers
What features are you looking for from a mongo driver? There has been some improvement on it since I wrote that.
dimitarvp
Have you checked the Basho products one of which is Riak, and it’s written in Erlang?
I am not affiliated but heard people praising them. Never had the chance to try any of their products so far though.
sarat1669
Sorry, but I haven’t used the driver, so not aware of the current limitations (if any) I was going through the discussion on the previously mentioned thread and thought it wasn’t actively maintained.
sarat1669
I think Riak is more of a Key-Value store than a NoSQL database. Also it is eventually consistent and doesn’t support atomic updates.
Ankhers
I’ll admit there hasn’t been much work done on the driver lately, the last commit was about a month ago, but it is still maintained. If you give it a look and there are some features that are not currently in there, just post an issue and we can probably get it sorted out.
outlog
what is the nature of the data? using postgres with GitHub - timescale/timescaledb: A time-series database for high-performance real-time analytics packaged as a Postgres extension · GitHub or GitHub - citusdata/citus: Distributed PostgreSQL as an extension · GitHub comes to mind.. admittingly I would think “normal” postgres is also up for the job..
that being said I would cautiously warn against changing both the DB and the App layer(to elixir I assume) at the same time.. but all depends on complexity etc. etc.
I would try and get something going using the old DB and Elixir (perhaps reverse proxy the Java app and then build out slowly.. Migrating from Rails to Elixir, bit by bit - #3 by outlog)
OvermindDL1
Yep, even raw-bog-standard PostgreSQL has fantastic nosql style storage with far more features than something like mongodb. Although I personally always question why someone thinks they need a nosql style storage, having a properly typed system is always far safer and often much faster.
sarat1669
The data has multiple objects which can be owned by multiple owners (sub-systems). A subsystem can replace the current object with a new object and assign its properties to different subsystems. The number of levels of the number of object is non-deterministic. It depends on the runtime inputs. And we also do a lot of scheduling based on priority, cost optimisation, etc on top of these subsystems. We have borrowed some concepts from FBP as well. I think modelling such kind of data in a traditional database isn’t a good idea.