hansonkd
HI,
I would like to know what the best way to validate runtime configuration before the supervisor starts their children. Essentially I need to check that if one environment variable is set, another is also set, if not the application should exit with 1:
defmodule MyApp.MyAppSupervisor do
# Automatically defines child_spec/1
use Supervisor
alias Vapor.Provider.{File, Env}
def start_link(init_arg) do
Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, init_arg, name: __MODULE__)
end
@impl true
def init(_init_arg) do
providers = [
%Env{bindings: [
{:proxy_enable, "PROXY_ENABLE", default: false, map: fn s -> String.upcase(s) == "TRUE" end},
{:proxy_upstream, "PROXY_UPSTREAM", default: ""},
{:proxy_environment, "PROXY_ENVIRONMENT", default: 0, map: &String.to_integer/1},
{:proxy_timeout, "PROXY_TIMEOUT", default: 5000, map: &String.to_integer/1},
{:proxy_max_connections, "PROXY_MAX_CONNECTIONS", default: 100, map: &String.to_integer/1},
]},
# %File{path: "config.yaml", bindings: [kafka_brokers: "kafka.brokers"]},
]
# If values could not be found we raise an exception and halt the boot
# process
config = Vapor.load!(providers)
Application.put_env(:my_app, MyApp.PlugProxy, [
upstream: config[:proxy_upstream],
environment: config[:proxy_environment],
timeout: config[:proxy_timeout]
])
children = [
]
children =
if config.proxy_enable do
if config.proxy_upstream == "" do
IO.puts "You must configure Proxy Upstream"
exit {:shutdown, 1}
end
child_specs =
[
Cables.child_spec(:http_proxy_pool, config.proxy_upstream, :http, max_connections: config.proxy_max_connections),
MyApp.ProxyEndpoint
]
children ++ child_specs
else
children
end
Supervisor.init(children, strategy: :one_for_one)
end
end
However, I get a rather ugly output and also a crash_dump.
>>> mix release
...
>>> _build/dev/rel/myapp/bin/myapp start
You must configure Proxy Upstream
[info] Application myapp exited: MyApp.Application.start(:normal, []) returned an error: shutdown: failed to start child: MyApp.MyAppSupervisor
** (EXIT) shutdown
[os_mon] memory supervisor port (memsup): Erlang has closed
[os_mon] cpu supervisor port (cpu_sup): Erlang has closed
{"Kernel pid terminated",application_controller,"{application_start_failure,myapp,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,'Elixir.MyApp.MyAppSupervisor',shutdown}},{'Elixir.MyApp.Application',start,[normal,[]]}}}"}
Kernel pid terminated (application_controller) ({application_start_failure,myapp,{{shutdown,{failed_to_start_child,'Elixir.MyApp.MyAppSupervisor',shutdown}},{'Elixir.MyApp
Crash dump is being written to: erl_crash.dump...done
What is the best way to not show the error message and prevent it from writing a crash dump?
I would like the output of my application to be:
>>> _build/dev/rel/myapp/bin/myapp start
You must configure Proxy Upstream
>>> ehco $?
1
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










