iwatakeshi

iwatakeshi

Hi :waving_hand:, I’ve been playing around with Elixir and its ecosystem for a few weeks now and I really like it so far. Also, this is my first post here so please bear with me :man_bowing:t2:.

I’m trying to mimic how Amazon’s Amplify generates the filters for its GraphQL schemas using Absinthe.
So far I was able to get ne, eq, le, ge, gt, contains, and between to work. The hard part, however, is implementing and, or, and not (lines 88 - 90) since it involves recursion and Ecto.

I’ve created a small repl.it that shows what I’ve tried so far (maybe lots of code commented off as well :sweat_smile:). In the repl.it, I’m using strings to abstract things but the goal is to use Ecto’s dynamic query feature.

The input will look something like this:

input = %{
  and: [%{ and: [%{ b: %{ eq: "4"}}], c: %{ eq: "3"}}],
  or: [%{ d: %{ eq: "2"}}],
  a: %{ eq: "1"}
}

and the output will be expressed as something like:

# a and (b == 4 and c == 3) or (d == 2)

I think I’m on the right track. I know that I eventually have to reduce a tree-like structure to a single query, but I’m not sure how to deal with a binary operator such and and or within Enum.reduce so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Random thought:

I think it would be super neat if Absinthe could just build the tables and hook everything up including filtering, relay, etc with just a schema like Amplify… this would be a game changer.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I interpret that document as describing a different structure where both and and or take the terms they apply to in a list. For your example, start by writing the expression with explicit parentheses:

(a == 1 and (b == 4 and c == 3)) or (d == 2)

Rules:

  • %{variable_name: %{eq: value}} corresponds to variable_name == value
  • %{var1: %{eq: v1}, var2: %{eq: v2}} corresponds to (var1 == v1) and (var2 == v2)
  • %{and: [X, Y, Z]} corresponds to the expression (X and (Y and Z))
  • %{or: [X, Y, Z]} corresponds to the expression (X or (Y or Z))

so

%{
  a: %{eq: 1},
  b: %{eq: 4},
  c: %{eq: 3}
}

corresponds to (a == 1 and (b == 4 and c == 3)). So finally

%{
  or: [
    %{
      a: %{eq: 1},
      b: %{eq: 4},
      c: %{eq: 3}
    },
    %{
      d: %{eq: 2}
    }
  ]
}

corresponds to the original expression.

The recursion you’ll need to turn the map above into Ecto operations is the derivation in reverse. You’ll likely want to use explicit recursion for this, as it’s a depth-first traversal of the input.

iwatakeshi

iwatakeshi OP

Thanks Matt for the reply! So it’s almost like restructuring the input into a format that makes it easier to evaluate. I’ll give that a shot.

iwatakeshi

iwatakeshi OP

Just wanted to update and say thank you for taking your time and input! I was able to get something working (after lots of head banging :laughing:).

I’ll leave a repl.it here in case someone finds it helpful/useful and maybe even improve it.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews