octowombat
I tried to run the first LLM example “Your first LLM agent” in LiveBook. Firstly I got a weird Setup block:
Mix.install([
{{mix_dep:jido}},
{{mix_dep:jido_ai}},
{{mix_dep:req_llm}}
])
which I could easily sort out. I set my OpenAI API key as directed as a secret in LiveBook which the block reported true as expected. However when I tried to run the “Ask the Agent” block I get the following;
10:49:25.330 [warning] Jido.AI.Reasoning.ReAct using ephemeral token secret (no configured :react_token_secret); checkpoint tokens expire on VM restart
10:49:25.335 [error] Provider failed to build streaming request: %ReqLLM.Error.API.Request{reason: "Failed to build Anthropic stream request: %ReqLLM.Error.Invalid.Parameter{parameter: ":api_key option, config :req_llm, anthropic_api_key, or ANTHROPIC_API_KEY env var (.env via dotenvy)", splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :invalid}", status: nil, response_body: nil, request_body: nil, cause: nil, headers: nil, splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :api}
10:49:25.335 [error] Failed to start HTTP streaming: {:provider_build_failed, %ReqLLM.Error.API.Request{reason: "Failed to build Anthropic stream request: %ReqLLM.Error.Invalid.Parameter{parameter: ":api_key option, config :req_llm, anthropic_api_key, or ANTHROPIC_API_KEY env var (.env via dotenvy)", splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :invalid}", status: nil, response_body: nil, request_body: nil, cause: nil, headers: nil, splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :api}}
10:49:25.335 [error] Failed to start streaming: {:http_streaming_failed, {:provider_build_failed, %ReqLLM.Error.API.Request{reason: "Failed to build Anthropic stream request: %ReqLLM.Error.Invalid.Parameter{parameter: ":api_key option, config :req_llm, anthropic_api_key, or ANTHROPIC_API_KEY env var (.env via dotenvy)", splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :invalid}", status: nil, response_body: nil, request_body: nil, cause: nil, headers: nil, splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :api}}}
Greeting: {:error,
{:failed, :error,
{:http_streaming_failed,
{:provider_build_failed,
%ReqLLM.Error.API.Request{
reason: "Failed to build Anthropic stream request: %ReqLLM.Error.Invalid.Parameter{parameter: ":api_key option, config :req_llm, anthropic_api_key, or ANTHROPIC_API_KEY env var (.env via dotenvy)", splode: nil, bread_crumbs:
, vars:
, path:
, stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>, class: :invalid}",
status: nil,
response_body: nil,
request_body: nil,
cause: nil,
headers: nil,
splode: nil,
bread_crumbs:
,
vars:
,
path:
,
stacktrace: #Splode.Stacktrace<>,
class: :api
}}}}}
No idea why its using Claude/Anthropic? Apart from if I do the following in the LiveBook;
Jido.AI.model_aliases()
it returns
%{
image: "openai:gpt-image-1",
thinking: "anthropic:claude-sonnet-4-20250514",
embedding: "openai:text-embedding-3-small",
reasoning: "anthropic:claude-sonnet-4-20250514",
planning: "anthropic:claude-sonnet-4-20250514",
fast: "anthropic:claude-haiku-4-5",
capable: "anthropic:claude-sonnet-4-20250514"
}
which shows :fast as configured to be "anthropic:claude-haiku-4-5"
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance
Mike
Trending in Troubleshooting
I’m using Postgrex in a Phoenix app to connect to Postgres. The database for my dev instance is in a local VM, with hostname jot.local. M...
New
Job args skip format_job_args/1 in the job edit form and in search hints, even with read-only access
Hi Parker and Shannon,
First, thank you for Oban and Oban Web. They’re a pleasure to build on, and the resolver’s format_job_args/1 and ...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Livebook Threads
Questions & Help>Troubleshooting
Latest on Elixir Forum
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ken-kost
Anthropic is by default, you need to override your aliases:
octowombat
I merely followed the docs/guide. Thanks.
ken-kost
You can make a PR for docs, add a line that would prevent your problem for someone else.
code is never done and docs are its last frontier
octowombat
Will look to do so when I figure out where best to make the config change as many of the examples seem to use the
:fastatom for the model key.octowombat
I’m afraid I can’t find where to put the altered config when in LiveBook. Obviously if I was just in my own Elixir project I know where to do it. So many of the LiveBook examples give the same instructions on setting the
OPENAI_API_KEYand the model is configured to be:fastso I thought it must be my setup as was sure thejido.runwebsite could not be so wrong.octowombat
After transferring to a simple skeleton Elixir project I got it to work after setting the config to be
The fix was it needed to be a map as the keyword list was swallowed as an empty map and therefore always fell back to the defaults.
mikehostetler
Sorry for the friction - I’m working on making this experience better. I will patch the docs so this makes it back into the original LiveBook
octowombat
Hey thanks! I was and still am excited to try out Jido after listening to you on various podcasts and been a long time Elixir fan/dev/architect (since 2015, and Erlang before that).
I was sure it was my stupidity but as I only used LiveBook a while back (and my intention is not LiveBook) I switched to a bare simple Elixir project to debug my mistake.
Great work and I’m glad you carried on with it after you did a retrospective look a while back.
Mike
mikehostetler
It’s been a journey for sure! The project grew really fast and it’s been a challenge to keep on top of all the little points of friction.
As stated above, docs and livebooks aren’t always the highest on the list to proactively test and fix - but I’m making progress!!!
I have a lot of automations built to manage the ecosystem, dependencies and integrations across supported packages which has helped tremendously. The core is now in a great place and I’m now starting to look ahead towards what is next.
Thanks for digging in and let me know if there’s anything else you run into so I can patch it.
octowombat
Appreciate the offer - thanks, I will certainly bear it in mind. I also will see if there is anything I can do to give back too.