zackattackz

zackattackz

Hello!

I am currently working on an implementation of an Ecto Adapter for XTDB v2.x. 2.x is not a production-ready version, but I just wanted to try to make this project as a way to learn more about Elixir and XTDB as well.

So first of course I would need to create a DB driver for Elixir. XTDB has an HTTP API so I figured I will implement the driver using that as the protocol.

To create a driver, it seems standard that you should implement the DBConnection.Connection behavior. I just have a few struggles with this.

1.) From looking at other DBConnection implementations (MyXQL, Postgrex), they all seem to implement their database-specific protocols via TCP. Then DBConnection is somehow able to keep these TCP connections alive (via pinging?). My question is, how would one implement a DBConnection for an HTTP based protocol, specifically for the ping callback. To my understanding, HTTP is stateless, so I don’t think there is a realistic way to implement ping for this. Should I just leave it undefined and force :idle_interval = 0? Which brings me to my next question…
2.) Is there anything to be gained from implementing DBConnection for an HTTP based protocol? The main value-gain from implementing DBConnection seems to be that it is able to pool and maintain open TCP connections. I don’t know if there are other benefits, but if this is not applicable to HTTP, then should I bother with implementing it in the first place?

Sorry if these are ill-informed questions, as my knowledge of network protocols is very low. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 5

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

There’s “keepalive” in HTTP/1.1 that lets a connection be used for multiple sequential requests.

You’d need to check if XTDB supports it, though.

The goal of connection pooling for this is largely around reducing the number of SSL handshakes required - every time a new connection is opened it takes a bunch of network round-trips and cryptographic calculations.

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

:wave: @zackattackz

I implemented an HTTP driver for ClickHouse and DBConnection was very useful.

  1. You can GET /status for handle_ping, it would probably be enough to keep the connection alive.

  2. In addition to pooling and keeping connections alive, DBConnection provides a way to make them re-connect with backoff in case things go bad.

Just make sure to use an HTTP client without a pool!

zackattackz

zackattackz OP

Interesting, I will need to see if it is supported. Thank you!

zackattackz

zackattackz OP

This is awesome, thank you!! I was looking into using Mint as well, so this is a huge help :smiley:

zackattackz

zackattackz OP

Looking more into this it seems that HTTP 1.1 keeps connections alive by default, so pinging some known endpoint periodically, like @ruslandoga does in their Clickhouse driver, should be enough to keep the connection alive.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews