CheersThankYou

CheersThankYou

I have an embedded schema, and I noticed that it was always writing to the DB, even when it wasn’t updated from its default value [].

Checking with changeset, it appears to always register it as a change. Where am I going wrong with this?

You can test this in debug using the example:

defmodule Order do
  use Ecto.Schema

  schema "orders" do
    embeds_many :items, Item
  end
end

defmodule Item do
  use Ecto.Schema

  embedded_schema do
    field :title
  end
end
# create a blank changeset
order = %Order{}
orderChange = Ecto.Changeset.change(order)

orderChange |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [])

I’ve tried this with a regular blank map, but it only appears to be occurring with an embedded_schema. I feel like I’m missing something obvious here.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

If you change this:

embeds_many :items, Item

to this:

embeds_many :items, Item, default: []

…is the problem still there?

CheersThankYou

CheersThankYou OP

I am not sure if that option is available while defining a schema. Though I can do that while creating a migration. Unfortunately I did try that before with add :items, {:array, :map} and it did not affect it.

Thanks for the input though

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

If you set up a skeleton GitHub project demonstrating the problem, I’ll try and help you further.

CheersThankYou

CheersThankYou OP

You can replicate the code in my original example in an IEX interactive shell.

I’ve done some more playing about with it in iex and here is the process I took:

defmodule Order do
  use Ecto.Schema

  schema "orders" do
    embeds_many :items, Item, on_replace: :delete #added on_replace to allow manipulation
  end
end

defmodule Item do
  use Ecto.Schema

  embedded_schema do
    field :title
  end
end

With zero items attached to the order:

order = %Order{}
changesetWithNoItems = Ecto.Changeset.change(order)

changesetWithNoItems.data
%Order{__meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, "orders">, id: nil, items: []}

# this doesn't make sens
changesetWithNoItems |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [])
#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{items: []},
  errors: [],
  data: #Order<>,
  valid?: true
>

# Makes sense
changesetWithNoItems |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, nil)
#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{},
  errors: [items: {"is invalid", [type: {:array, :map}]}],
  data: #Order<>,
  valid?: false
>

# Makes sense 
changesetWithNoItems |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [%Item{id: 1, title: "test"}])
#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{
    items: [
      #Ecto.Changeset<action: :insert, changes: %{}, errors: [], data: #Item<>,
       valid?: true>
    ]
  },
  errors: [],
  data: #Order<>,
  valid?: true
>

Then with an order that has a single item attached:


order = %Order{items: [%Item{id: 1, title: "what"}]}
changesetWithItem = Ecto.Changeset.change(order)

changesetWithItem.data 
%Order{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, "orders">,
  id: nil,
  items: [%Item{id: 1, title: "what"}]
}

# Makes sense
changesetWithItem |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [%Item{id: 1, title: "what"}])
#Ecto.Changeset<action: nil, changes: %{}, errors: [], data: #Order<>,
 valid?: true>

# Doesn't make sense
 changesetWithItem |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [%Item{id: 1, title: "huh"}]) 
#Ecto.Changeset<action: nil, changes: %{}, errors: [], data: #Order<>,
 valid?: true>

# confirming
 (changesetWithItem |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [%Item{id: 1, title: "huh"}])).data
%Order{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, "orders">,
  id: nil,
  items: [%Item{id: 1, title: "what"}]
}

# Doesn't make sense
changesetWithItem |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [%Item{id: 2, title: "huh"}])
#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{
    items: [
      #Ecto.Changeset<action: :replace, changes: %{}, errors: [], data: #Item<>,
       valid?: true>,
      #Ecto.Changeset<action: :insert, changes: %{}, errors: [], data: #Item<>,
       valid?: true>
    ]
  },
  errors: [],
  data: #Order<>,
  valid?: true
>

# Confirming
((changesetWithItem |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [%Item{id: 1, title: "huh"}, %Item{id: 2, title: "something new"}])).changes.items |> hd).data
%Item{id: 1, title: "huh"}
CheersThankYou

CheersThankYou OP

I am getting nowhere with this so I opened a bug. I’ll update here if I get a response.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

There’s no point supplying IDs if the structures are not persisted. Ecto will happily accept them without question in this case.

Adzz

Adzz

I think this bit:

# this doesn't make sens
changesetWithNoItems |> Ecto.Changeset.put_change(:items, [])
#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{items: []},
  errors: [],
  data: #Order<>,
  valid?: true
>

Makes sense because you are effectively telling Ecto to delete all the relations (or embeds in this case). Meaning it is always a change I think.

I also think you shouldn’t use put_change but should use cast_embed or put_embed for embeds, that may be the source of the confusion.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews