apr
Hello!
I had a question regarding the usage of Multi.run/3. I am using pg as my database. Let’s say I have a Multi with a couple different updates to my db. At the very end, I want to run a custom function that does not update the db (so no Repo.insert etc. It updates an ets table) using Multi.run/3.
My question is, does it make sense to use Multi.run/3 to run functions that do not update the db? I would like to do this because my custom function can return {:error, value} and all the preceding updates can be rolled back.
Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
You use Multi.run for something not DB oriented but where you still want the DB to rollback if it fails, so yes, this is the use-case it is for.
Just remember that an entire Multi pipeline is in a transaction, so the rows it accessed in the database are locked until it’s complete, so make sure it doesn’t take too long to run.
apr
Gotcha! Thanks a lot @OvermindDL1!
Edit: I was also wondering, if you use a Multi.run to actually update the DB, does the update get rolled back when some other operation down the line fails? If so, how does Ecto figure out which Multi runs update the DB and which ones don’t (In order to rollback any updates on failure)?
benwilson512
@apr Ecto itself doesn’t “undo” the operations, rather it opens a transaction and then all operations within that transaction will be rolled back by the database unless the transaction is committed.
apr
Cool. I understand now. Thanks Ben!
medikent
In order for an operation in a Multi.run block to be included in the transaction must the run block use the Repo argument passed from the earlier Multi step or can it call a function that makes arbitrary Repo calls while not using the repo passed in from the Multi? This could be such as calling Repo.one, Repo.insert, or something like that