by Paulo A Pereira
Unleash the full power of programming in Elixir with over 60 incredibly effective recipes
This book is a set of recipes grouped by topic that acts as a good reference to get ideas from or to quickly search for a solution to a problem. You will begin by launching an IEx session and using it to test some ideas. Next, you will perform various operations like loading and compiling modules, inspecting your system, generating a supervised app, and so on. Furthermore, you will be introduced to immutability, working with data structures, performing pattern matching, and using stream modules to generate infinite data sequences. You will learn about everything from joining strings to determining the word frequency in text. With respect to modules and functions, you will also discover how to load code from other modules and use guards and pattern matching in functions.
###Table of Contents
1: COMMAND LINE
2: DATA TYPES AND STRUCTURES
3: STRINGS AND BINARIES
4: MODULES AND FUNCTIONS
5: PROCESSES AND NODES
6: OTP – OPEN TELECOM PLATFORM
7: COWBOY AND PHOENIX
###What You Will Learn
- Utilize Erlang code seamlessly from Elixir, leveraging a huge amount of battle-tested libraries
- Use the Mix tool to generate applications and manage dependencies
- Create modules and functions and use them from different machines, taking advantage of Elixir’s integrated distribution mechanism
- Implement OTP behaviors in Elixir
- Package and deploy applications on running systems
- Work with the Phoenix framework to generate a basic web application
- Interact with external programs and APIs
- Serve static files and implement websockets
Paulo A Pereira
Paulo A Pereira is a journalist and senior software engineer with a background in Grails and Rails. He fell in love with Elixir and has a passion for exploring new technologies and keeping himself up to date with the industry’s developments.
Paulo previously worked as a consultant and lead developer for Mediadigital, implementing Grails and Rails solutions, and he is currently working at Onfido Background Checks, a London-based tech start-up that is proving to be a key player in the background checking industry.