mpoeter

mpoeter

I am working for ArangoDB, a multi-model database implemented in C++. We have a huge number of integration/system tests that are written in JavaScript using a custom fully synchronous V8 implementation (no nodejs), and the testing framework itself is a huge mess. There are historical reasons for this situation, but they are not relevant here…

Going forward I was thinking about building a new testing framework that would hopefully make life for all the developers easier. The framework has to start, manage and monitor deployments (single server and cluster). If any of the server unexpectedly crashes or becomes unhealthy, we want to abort all tests. When the test process terminates, we also have to make sure that all of our started processes are terminated, etc. However, some threads need to test resilience and deliberately stop or crash servers, some tests need to run concurrent operations that have to coordinate, and much more…

I while ago I started to work on a PoC in Python - mainly because Python is already commonly used in the company. However, monitoring external processes with distributing crash notifications across multiple concurrently running threads proved to be quite complex. Not to mention the workarounds to do for pytest regarding state management…

I actually like Elixir much more than Python, so eventually I asked myself if Elixir might be a better fit here (and it would give me an excuse to promote Elixir a bit ;). With the erlexec library I have a powerful tool to manage the external processes and can then link everything so that tests are aborted when a server crashes. I have already built a first PoC and it looks quite promising. It can pretty much do what the Python PoC did, but it is much shorter and I would argue easier to understand.

I am curious what other people think, based on the description above. Has anyone built something similar in Elixir?
I am wondering if ExUnit would be the right test library here, or whether Common Test would be more appropriate. For example, one issue that I ran into with ExUnit is that when a server has crashed I cannot simply skip the remaining tests. I only learned about Common Test yesterday, so I don’t know much about it yet, but it seems that using it from Elixir is rather painful.

The main design goal is usability - it should be easy to use (run tests; analyze results) and to add new tests.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

jstimps

jstimps

I’ve built something similar for running FoundationDB sandboxes. While reading your post I was going to recommend erlexec, and then I was pleased to see you’re already using it!

https://github.com/foundationdb-beam/ex_fdbmonitor

I’m using LocalCluster to manage Erlang node peers for bootstrapping the database clustering in test scenarios.

Overall the experience has been very pleasant. It’s empowering to be able to create and destroy database clusters at will to test a variety of configurations.

Let me know if you have any questions!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews