Gio

Gio

Hello

On a new project I did the following, but it wouldn’t compile without errors.
I also tried using the library locally, but had the same issue. {:hidraw, path: "../hidraw"}


First I added {:hidraw, "~> 0.2.2"} to the dependencies.

❯ mix deps.get

Resolving Hex dependencies…
Resolution completed in 0.134s
New:
hidraw 0.2.2
Unchanged:
bandit 1.10.3
cc_precompiler 0.1.11
db_connection 2.9.0
decimal 2.3.0
dns_cluster 0.2.0
ecto 3.13.5
ecto_sql 3.13.4
elixir_make 0.9.0
esbuild 0.10.0
expo 1.1.1
file_system 1.1.1
finch 0.21.0
fine 0.1.4
gettext 1.0.2
hpax 1.0.3
idna 6.1.1
jason 1.4.4
lazy_html 0.1.10
mime 2.0.7
mint 1.7.1
nimble_options 1.1.1
nimble_pool 1.1.0
phoenix 1.8.4
phoenix_ecto 4.7.0
phoenix_html 4.3.0
phoenix_live_dashboard 0.8.7
phoenix_live_reload 1.6.2
phoenix_live_view 1.1.24
phoenix_pubsub 2.2.0
phoenix_template 1.0.4
plug 1.19.1
plug_crypto 2.1.1
postgrex 0.22.0
req 0.5.17
swoosh 1.22.1
tailwind 0.4.1
telemetry 1.3.0
telemetry_metrics 1.1.0
telemetry_poller 1.3.0
thousand_island 1.4.3
unicode_util_compat 0.7.1
websock 0.5.3
websock_adapter 0.5.9

* Getting hidraw (Hex package)

❯ mix deps.compile
==> elixir_make
Compiling 8 files (.ex)
Generated elixir_make app
==> hidraw
Unchecked dependencies for environment prod:

* elixir_make (Hex package)
  the dependency build is outdated, please run “MIX_ENV=prod mix deps.compile”
  could not compile dependency :hidraw, “mix compile” failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with “mix deps.compile hidraw --force”, update it with “mix deps.update hidraw” or clean it with “mix deps.clean hidraw”
  ==> phoenix_hidraw_error
  \*\* (Mix) Can’t continue due to errors on dependencies

I could ‘temporarily fix’ it locally by running 2x mix deps.compile hidraw. But I’m looking for a solution which will let me use deps_nix without any issues.

   ❯ mix deps.compile hidraw
==> elixir_make
Compiling 8 files (.ex)
Generated elixir_make app
==> hidraw
Unchecked dependencies for environment prod:
* elixir_make (Hex package)
  could not find an app file at "/phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/elixir_make/ebin/elixir_make.app". This may happen if the dependency was not yet compiled or the dependency indeed has no app file (then you can pass app: false as option)
could not compile dependency :hidraw, "mix compile" failed. Errors may have been logged above. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile hidraw --force", update it with "mix deps.update hidraw" or clean it with "mix deps.clean hidraw"
==> phoenix_hidraw_error
** (Mix) Can't continue due to errors on dependencies

❯ mix deps.compile hidraw
==> hidraw
mkdir -p /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj
mkdir -p /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/priv
gcc -c -I/nix/store/j106gi4wjl8kqr1yxgw35arb4jih4iw4-erlang-28.3.1/lib/erlang/usr/include -std=gnu99 -o /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj/erlcmd.o src/erlcmd.c
gcc -c -I/nix/store/j106gi4wjl8kqr1yxgw35arb4jih4iw4-erlang-28.3.1/lib/erlang/usr/include -std=gnu99 -o /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj/hidraw.o src/hidraw.c
gcc -c -I/nix/store/j106gi4wjl8kqr1yxgw35arb4jih4iw4-erlang-28.3.1/lib/erlang/usr/include -std=gnu99 -o /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj/hidraw_enum.o src/hidraw_enum.c
src/hidraw_enum.c: In function âfind_hidraw_devicesâ:
src/hidraw_enum.c:130:30: warning: â%sâ directive output may be truncated writing up to 255 bytes into a region of size 59 [-Wformat-truncation=]
  130 |                          "%s/%s", DEV, namelist[i]->d_name);
      |                              ^~
In file included from /nix/store/1k8f0lkj10gsbb1fh0idr1423l37yj69-glibc-2.40-218-dev/include/stdio.h:970,
                 from src/hidraw_enum.c:29:
In function âsnprintfâ,
    inlined from âfind_hidraw_devicesâ at src/hidraw_enum.c:129:3:
/nix/store/1k8f0lkj10gsbb1fh0idr1423l37yj69-glibc-2.40-218-dev/include/bits/stdio2.h:68:10: note: â__builtin___snprintf_chkâ output between 6 and 261 bytes into a destination of size 64
   68 |   return __builtin___snprintf_chk (__s, __n, __USE_FORTIFY_LEVEL - 1,
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   69 |                                    __glibc_objsize (__s), __fmt,
      |                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
   70 |                                    __va_arg_pack ());
      |                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gcc /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj/erlcmd.o /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj/hidraw.o /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/obj/hidraw_enum.o -L/nix/store/j106gi4wjl8kqr1yxgw35arb4jih4iw4-erlang-28.3.1/lib/erlang/usr/lib -lei  -o /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/priv/hidraw
echo "Not crosscompiling. To test locally, the port binary needs extra permissions."; echo "Set SUDO=sudo to set permissions. The default is to skip this step."; echo "SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/bin/ssh-askpass"; echo "SUDO=true"; SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/bin/ssh-askpass true -- sh -c 'chown root:root  /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/priv/hidraw; chmod +s  /phoenix_hidraw_error/_build/dev/lib/hidraw/priv/hidraw'
Not crosscompiling. To test locally, the port binary needs extra permissions.
Set SUDO=sudo to set permissions. The default is to skip this step.
SUDO_ASKPASS=/usr/bin/ssh-askpass
SUDO=true
Compiling 1 file (.ex)
    warning: using single-quoted strings to represent charlists is deprecated.
    Use ~c"" if you indeed want a charlist or use "" instead.
    You may run "mix format --migrate" to change all single-quoted
    strings to use the ~c sigil and fix this warning.
    │
  9 │     executable = :code.priv_dir(:hidraw) ++ '/hidraw'
    │                                             ~
    │
    └─ lib/hidraw.ex:9:45

    warning: using single-quoted strings to represent charlists is deprecated.
    Use ~c"" if you indeed want a charlist or use "" instead.
    You may run "mix format --migrate" to change all single-quoted
    strings to use the ~c sigil and fix this warning.
    │
 34 │     executable = :code.priv_dir(:hidraw) ++ '/hidraw'
    │                                             ~
    │
    └─ lib/hidraw.ex:34:45
❯ uname -a
Linux sl-p16 6.18.13 #1-NixOS SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Feb 19 15:31:37 UTC 2026 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Generated hidraw app


❯ elixir --version
Erlang/OTP 28 \[erts-16.2\] \[source\] \[64-bit\] \[smp:32:32\] \[ds:32:32:10\] \[async-threads:1\] \[jit:ns\]

Elixir 1.19.5 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 28)

❯ uname -a
Linux laptop 6.18.13 [#1](/nerves-web-kiosk/hidraw/issues/1)-NixOS SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Feb 19 15:31:37 UTC 2026 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Showing Posts 1 to 9

Gio

Gio OP

The following does run, But why? and How can this be solved.
I’d expect we can run compile once for all deps. Apparently the order isn’t right?

rm -rf _build deps
mix deps.get
mix deps.compile elixir_make
mix deps.compile
NobbZ

NobbZ

As nix is involved, it might help to give us a full reproducer.

I can not see anything obvious in the posted output, though I do not know anything about hidraw or how it gets used, to spin up an appropriate shell spontaniously.

Gio

Gio OP

NobbZ

NobbZ

Sorry, I can not reproduce your issue.

nix build fails with an error about daisy-UI, while entering the devshell fails with the following:

error:
       … while calling the 'derivationStrict' builtin
         at «nix-internal»/derivation-internal.nix:37:12:
           36|
           37|   strict = derivationStrict drvAttrs;
             |            ^
           38|

       … while evaluating derivation 'devenv-shell'
         whose name attribute is located at «github:NixOS/nixpkgs/c217913993d6c6f6805c3b1a3bda5e639adfde6d?narHash=sha256-D1PA3xQv/s4W3lnR9yJFSld8UOLr0a/cBWMQMXS%2B1Qg%3D»/pkgs/stdenv/generic/make-derivation.nix:541:13

       … while evaluating attribute 'DEVENV_DOTFILE' of derivation 'devenv-shell'

       … while evaluating definitions from `/nix/store/0752bxc8by5dkayj70wzsjrnkd8l6a3i-source/src/modules/top-level.nix':

       … while evaluating the option `perSystem.x86_64-linux.devenv.shells.default.devenv.dotfile':

       (stack trace truncated; use '--show-trace' to show the full, detailed trace)

       error: string 'flake.nix
       priv
       mix.exs
       config
       assets
       VERSION
       flake.lock
       README.md
       nix
       AGENTS.md
       lib
       test
       mix.lock
       deps.nix
       /.devenv' doesn't represent an absolute path

As I am not using devenv myself, I have no interest in debugging this, and like to ask you to make the shell usable, such that I can reproduce your issue.

hauleth

hauleth

Have you used --impure flag?

NobbZ

NobbZ

No. I just allowed direnv and assumed it will be setup correctly.


Even with an abomination of a nix develop call, constructed based on your mention of --impure, the contents of the .envrc and the fact that I usually disable IFD, the error remains.

$ nix develop --impure --option allow-import-from-derivation true --override-input devenv-root file+file://$PWD
warning: Git tree '/home/nmelzer/tmp/phoenix_hidraw_error' is dirty
warning: not writing modified lock file of flake 'git+file:///home/nmelzer/tmp/phoenix_hidraw_error':
• Updated input 'devenv-root':
    'file:///dev/null?narHash=sha256-d6xi4mKdjkX2JFicDIv5niSzpyI0m/Hnm8GGAIU04kY%3D'
  → 'file:///home/nmelzer/tmp/phoenix_hidraw_error?narHash=sha256-2LAUW83UrJ9wgeybm478CtrcwpcKOBCoQ4MTCBtQKwM%3D'
error:
       … while calling the 'derivationStrict' builtin
         at «nix-internal»/derivation-internal.nix:37:12:
           36|
           37|   strict = derivationStrict drvAttrs;
             |            ^
           38|
       … while evaluating derivation 'devenv-shell'
         whose name attribute is located at /nix/store/59c65vmrl55gcgqaam9pxrcvqkrgvd9g-source/pkgs/stdenv/generic/make-derivation.nix:541:13
       … while evaluating attribute 'DEVENV_DOTFILE' of derivation 'devenv-shell'
       … while evaluating definitions from `/nix/store/0752bxc8by5dkayj70wzsjrnkd8l6a3i-source/src/modules/top-level.nix':
       … while evaluating the option `perSystem.x86_64-linux.devenv.shells.default.devenv.dotfile':
       (stack trace truncated; use '--show-trace' to show the full, detailed trace)
       error: string 'flake.nix
       priv
       mix.exs
       config
       assets
       VERSION
       flake.lock
       README.md
       nix
       AGENTS.md
       lib
       test
       mix.lock
       deps.nix
       /.devenv' doesn't represent an absolute path
Gio

Gio OP

I’m sorry. I wrote a new minimal without devenv.
https://github.com/gytars/elixir_hidraw_error_nix

NobbZ

NobbZ

This is weird.

I can totally reproduce your issue, but I don’t have an explanation nor fix for this behaviour.

I am sorry.

Gio

Gio OP

Thank you.

My guess is, it’s unrelated to deps_nix / nix.


@linux_users
Could someone test the following on their elixir project?

# Add the following to your mix.exs
  defp deps do
    [
      #...
      {:hidraw, "~> 0.2.2"}
      #...
    ]
  end
# Run the following commands
mix deps.get
mix deps.compile

compile will probably fail on all Linux systems, if elixir_make hasn’t been compiled before.


I don’t have enough Elixir knowledge either. The cause could be at one of these three.

  • compiler: mix deps.compile , the order is wrong
  • elixir_make library
  • hidraw library
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews