OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

So I have a ~>/3 operator in scope and am trying to pipe in to it like:

a
|> (b ~> c)

And this works just fine if I build the AST manually (like via {:~>, [], [a, b, c]}) or call it directly (like via Blah.~>(1, 2, 3)), but I keep getting errors like this:

** (ArgumentError) cannot pipe a into 1 ~> 2, the :~> operator can only take two arguments

Which is of course a bit of hogwash since that function/operator can take 3 arguments just fine. Not even using any macro work or anything of the sort in relation to it, just standard function naming since function names can be anything, and the normal built-in pipe operator.

This seems to be an issue with lots of operator-like function names.

This is trivially replicatable via a minimal case like:

iex(1)> defmodule Blah do
...(1)>   def unquote(:~>)(a, b, c), do: a+b+c 
...(1)> end
{:module, Blah,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 4, 120, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 123,
   0, 0, 0, 14, 11, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 66, 108, 97, 104, 8, 95,
   95, 105, 110, 102, 111, 95, 95, 7, 99, ...>>, {:~>, 3}}
iex(2)> 
nil
iex(3)> defmodule BlahTest do
...(3)>   import Blah
...(3)>   def test() do
...(3)>     1
...(3)>     |> (2 ~> 3) # Purely example data
...(3)>   end
...(3)> end
** (ArgumentError) cannot pipe 1 into 2 ~> 3, the :~> operator can only take two arguments
    (elixir) lib/macro.ex:155: Macro.pipe/3 
    (stdlib) lists.erl:1263: :lists.foldl/3
    (elixir) expanding macro: Kernel.|>/2
    iex:7: BlahTest.test/0

It works fine as well if I prefix the module name on it:

defmodule BlahTest do
  import Blah
  def test() do
    1
    |> Blah.~>(2, 3)
  end
end

It just fails if I try to use it directly, like via importing it, which is super weird since operators are just 2-arity functions of special names, but using those names with other arities works just fine otherwise in every-single-case that I can find except for with pipes.

As far as I can see in the code this is an explicit test and failure on the specific ‘operator’ names, but no test on if the operator actually exist with the given higher arity first (it’s just assuming that it doesn’t exist…), but I have no clue why it’s there (no comments as to the reasoning in the source…), this language inconsistency is breaking a DSEL I was trying to build for some math stuff… :frowning:

Showing Posts 1 to 3

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

I suspect this is on purpose based on the warning for using the + operator in a pipeline.

Can you call it normally with 3 args? a ~> b, c

Also, I’d expect the syntax to be:

a
|> ~>(b, c)
dbern

dbern

When you’re using the parentheses (2 ~> 3), aren’t you overriding the operator precedence? Expressions — Erlang System Documentation v29.0.2

Without the parentheses, the pipe operator macro will expand and take the 2 expressions before/after it resulting in 1 ~> 2.

defmodule Hello do         
  def unquote(:~>)(a, b, c) do
    a + b + c
  end
end

import Hello

Macro.expand((quote do: (1 |> 2 ~> 3)), __ENV__)
{:~>, [], [{:|>, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel], [1, 2]}, 3]}
OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1 OP

Sure:

iex(1)> defmodule Blah do
...(1)>   def unquote(:~>)(a, b, c), do: a+b+c 
...(1)> end
{:module, Blah,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 4, 76, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 123,
   0, 0, 0, 14, 11, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 66, 108, 97, 104, 8, 95,
   95, 105, 110, 102, 111, 95, 95, 7, 99, ...>>, {:~>, 3}}
iex(2)> Blah.~>(1, 2, 3)
6
iex(3)> import Blah
Blah
iex(4)> defmodule Testing do
...(4)>   def test() do
...(4)>     import Blah
...(4)>     unquote(:~>)(1, 2, 3)
...(4)>  end
...(4)> end
{:module, Testing,
 <<70, 79, 82, 49, 0, 0, 4, 80, 66, 69, 65, 77, 65, 116, 85, 56, 0, 0, 0, 141,
   0, 0, 0, 15, 14, 69, 108, 105, 120, 105, 114, 46, 84, 101, 115, 116, 105,
   110, 103, 8, 95, 95, 105, 110, 102, 111, 95, ...>>, {:test, 0}}
iex(5)> Testing.test() 
6

Not in this case because |> is a macro that expands ignoring immediate parenthetical syntax (specifically 2 ~> 3 compiles identically to (2 ~> 3), of which the pipe operator just prepends to prior to the first in the argument list of the function, and the function is just ~>).

Then what you are doing with 1 |> 3 ~> 3 is doing (1 |> 2) ~> 3, which is most definitely not piping a 1 into the function call of ~>(2, 3) but is rather doing ~>(1|>2, 3), and you can’t pipe a 1 into a 2, so that would fail pretty hard. :slight_smile:

Do note, the function ~> is just a normal function, not a macro or anything of the sort, these kind of function names are used in erlang DSEL’s at times when they make sense in the field that they are being used in.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews