sym_num

sym_num

Please help me.
I want to update to the latest Elixir. using asdf
I tried to install Erlang. However, I get the following error:

$asdf install erlang 22.2.2
Downloading OTP-22.2.2.tar.gz to /home/sasagawa/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/archives
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 122 0 122 0 0 225 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 225
100 53.1M 0 53.1M 0 0 4621k 0 --:–:-- 0:00:11 --:–:-- 4336k
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 22.2.2 (asdf_22.2.2), please wait…
WARNING: It appears that a required development package ‘libssl-dev’ is not installed.
WARNING: It appears that a required development package ‘libncurses5-dev’ is not installed.
Configure failed.
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat… (cached) no
checking for tgetent in -ltinfo… no
checking for tgetent in -lncurses… no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses… no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap… no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib… no
configure: error: No curses library functions found
ERROR: /home/sasagawa/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_22.2.2/otp_src_22.2.2/erts/configure failed!
./configure: 343: kill: No such process

I tried to install libssl-dev and libncurses5-dev but get an error.

Elixir1.10 could be installed with asdf. But Erlang doesn’t work.

I use Linux Mint 18.1 “Serena” MATE.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

romenigld

romenigld

I install the versions:

elixir         1.10.0  
erlang         22.1.8

Here a complete install with Linux in portuguese with the @akitaonrails but it’s posible to understand just watching or you can put translation of the subtitle:

and you can begin in the time 41:06 for install the libraries and after this begins the instalation with the asdf.
If you are a Mac OS user you can install the libraries with Homebrew as well.

sym_num

sym_num OP

Thank you.

wolfiton

wolfiton

You don’t have the libraries neccesary to build erlang on Ubuntu look here GitHub - asdf-vm/asdf-erlang: Erlang plugin for asdf version manager · GitHub

sym_num

sym_num OP

Thank you.

wolfiton

wolfiton

You are welcome.

dc0d

dc0d

I gave up on installing Erlang via asdf on Mac. It’s for some time that I use this setting: Installed Erlang using brew and the precompiled version Elixir using asdf (for which, the version looks like 1.10.0-otp-22).

wolfiton

wolfiton

Do not use brew, I wrote a guide to install asdf on Mac, I can searched for it if you needed it.

Here is my guide use git asdf Mac guide

sym_num

sym_num OP

Thank you very much. I was able to update to the latest version.

The software index was corrupted. I managed to fix it using aptitude.

The information from everyone was very helpful. Thank you very much.

akash-akya

akash-akya

I faced the same issue while installing 26.2.1 using asdf on MacOS Ventura v13.6.1.

asdf_26.2.1 is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation
The asdf_26.2.1 build has been deleted
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 26.2.1 (asdf_26.2.1), please wait...
Configure failed.
checking whether lock counters should be enabled... no
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... (cached) no
checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
configure: error: No curses library functions found
ERROR: /Users/akash/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.2.1/otp_src_26.2.1/erts/configure failed!
./configure: line 370: kill: (-9950) - No such process

Please see /Users/akash/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_26.2.1/otp_build_26.2.1.log for full details.

Somehow, the compiler failed to find ncurses. Even after updating development toolchain.

Solved by explicitly setting pkg-config path and then installing

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/usr/local/opt/ncurses/lib/pkgconfig"
$ asdf install erlang 26.2.1
mayel

mayel

Not a direct answer but you may want to try https://mise.jdx.dev which is basically a drop-in replacement for asdf (written in Rust).

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews