ThrashAbaddon

ThrashAbaddon

I have a seed.exs and I want to use it before mix test to seed db and then use that data inside tests. How do I do that?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

You can run your seeds inside the test_helper.exs file. It’s always evaluated before the tests.

Michał.

ThrashAbaddon

ThrashAbaddon OP

Thanks Michał.

rmoorman

rmoorman

Another way to do it currently is to call add run path/to/test_seeds.exs to the test alias in the projects mix.exs:

  defp aliases do
    [
      "ecto.setup": ["ecto.create", "ecto.migrate", "run priv/repo/seeds.exs"],
      "ecto.reset": ["ecto.drop", "ecto.setup"],
      "test": ["ecto.create --quiet", "ecto.migrate", "run test/test_seeds.exs", "test"]
    ]
  end

One thing to keep in mind though is that the seeds are run (of course) every time mix test is invoked, so the seeds will probably need to have some kind of conditional logic in place to only insert items in case they do not exist yet, something like this for example:

alias Foo.Category
alias Foo.Repo

if !Repo.get_by(Category, name: "fascinating") do
  Repo.insert(%Category{name: "fascinating"})
end

Then again, it might be more appropriate to insert the needed database records within the tests itself (or case file), which might make the tests a bit more explicit and self-contained and no conditional logic would be needed because tests are run within a transaction/cleaned up automatically.

chrislaskey

chrislaskey

In order to call the seeds from inside test_helper.exs, one option is to move the seeds file into a separate module:

defmodule MyApp.Seeds do
  def call do
    # Seed actions
  end
end

Then MyApp.Seeds.call can easily be called from either priv/repo/seeds.exs or test/test_helper.exs.

Thanks to Ihor Katkov in the #ecto Slack channel for proposing the solution.

enkr1

enkr1

Do you mind sharing a small snippet of your code?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews