rekkice

rekkice

I’m building an editor integration to evaluate Elixir code in an IEx session. While Code.eval_string/3 allows tracking variable bindings, i think there’s currently no way to persist the environment (aliases, imports, etc.) between evaluations using this approach.

Use Case:

  • User is using an editor to send code to IEx (through a named pipe, e.g.), which is then read by a custom module defined in .iex.exs.
  • User defines alias MyApp.Module in one evaluation.
  • In subsequent evaluations, they expect Module.function() to work (as if it would in a regular IEx shell).

Proposal:
Expose a public API to evaluate code directly in the IEx instance, e.g.:

# it could be a helper function
result = IEx.Helpers.eval_string("IO.puts(123)")

# or maybe work by directly sending a message to IEx’s evaluator process (e.g., using eval_pid() if such a function were available)
send(eval_pid(), {:eval, "IO.puts(123)"})

I think this would make integrating IEx with external tools such as code editors a much easier task. Helix allows piping selected code directly to a Bash command, so i was using that to send code to a named pipe and read that in IEx. IEx is very useful, but i always experience some friction between it and my editor because i have to manually copy and paste code to it.

I found this post from a while ago that suggests something that i think would work for my case, but i tried it on Elixir 1.18.1 with OTP 26 and it didn’t work, maybe because it’s not a public API.

I’d love to hear if others have faced similar challenges or if there’s an existing approach i might have missed. I’d also be happy to contribute to this implementation if there’s interest, though I’m still learning Elixir and don’t have experience with Erlang.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

rekkice

rekkice OP

I also found this suggestion made recently:

Maybe exposing this API would also help with the ongoing nREPL efforts?

v0idpwn

v0idpwn

Hi,

I think most of what you want is achievable with Code:

def iterative_eval(code, bindings \\ [], env \\ env_for_eval([])) do
  quoted = Code.string_to_quoted(code)
  Code.eval_quoted_with_env(quoted, bindings, env)
end

Which can be used as:

iex(5)> {result, bindings, env} = Repl.iterative_eval("a = 1"); :ok # Using this `:ok` to avoid printing env
:ok
iex(6)> {result, bindings, env} = Repl.iterative_eval("a + 2", bindings, env); :ok
:ok
iex(7)> result
{:ok, 3}
iex(8)> bindings
[a: 1]

It carries the env, hence it carries aliases, requires, etc. To use the env from iex, you can just use __ENV__:

iex(9)> alias Map, as: M
Map
iex(10)> {result, bindings, env} = Repl.iterative_eval("map = M.new()", [], __ENV__); :ok
:ok
iex(11)> result
{:ok, %{}}
iex(12)> bindings
[map: %{}]
iex(13)> 

I don’t know if there’s a way to load these bindings/env back in iex, though.

rekkice

rekkice OP

Thanks, that does help with my use case. It would still be nice to have an alternative that does interact with the IEx environment directly, though.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Proposals: Ideas Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews