ryanwinchester

ryanwinchester

Initial Problem:

I want to use :mnesia in my application.

If I don’t explicitly include :mnesia in my release, it doesn’t exist.

example:

** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :mnesia.create_schema/1 is undefined
  (module :mnesia is not available)

However, if I add it to :extra_applications so that it gets included in my release, and let it start automatically and create the default schema, I get an error when trying to create tables:

:mnesia.create_table(MyRecord, 
  disc_copies: [node()],
  attributes: [:id, :foo, :bar]
)

with the error:

{:error, {:bad_type, MyRecord, :disc_copies, :nonode@nohost}}

I’m defining the directory in config.exs

config :mnesia, :dir, 'priv/data/mnesia'

And this works fine in dev when I don’t include :mnesia in my :extra_applications and I start it manually.

Solution I want to attempt:

I am trying to include :mnesia in my release, without it starting automatically, so I can start it myself.

I have tried adding it to :included_applications like so:

  def application do
    [
      mod: {MyApp.Application, []},
      extra_applications: [:logger, :runtime_tools],
      included_applications: [:mnesia]
    ]
  end

But this gives me an error

** (Mix) Undefined applications: [mnesia]

Anybody have any insight on how I can get this working?

I’ve been trying to get this working for several hours now and really starting to regret choosing mnesia.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

danschultzer

danschultzer

Pow Core Team

Yeah, I wish documentation and error messages were better in Mnesia.

If Mnesia has already started with :extra_applications, you should run this instead of :create_schema/1:

:mnesia.change_table_copy_type(:schema, node(), :disc_copies)

Otherwise if you only load :mnesia with :included_applications, then you should run this:

:mnesia.create_schema([node()])
:mnesia.start()

After that, :mnesia.create_table/2 should work. Remember to also run :mnesia.wait_for_tables/2 to ensure that the node/cluster is ready.

And as I mentioned in the other thread, I believe the error with Mnesia missing from the release is because of a bug in Elixir 1.9.0. 1.9.1 should resolve that.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews