Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

Hi all,

Noticed something strange today.

Working with Erlang 28.5, Elixir 1.19.5-otp-28.

I was working with a new project where I have just created my test workflow, I always follow the same flow, a build step that compiles and caches, then a test, format and security step that uses the cached build. As this project uses Ash which takes a long time to compile and 1 incredible large liveview I suddenly noticed that the mix ecto.load command took 28 seconds to run. I check the log and it said compiling 224 files and that that liveview took more than 10s.

Strange. I looked into the caching thinking maybe something off there, but it all looks good and the format and security jobs do not exhibit the same recompiling.

Further investigation (Claude) let me to believe that the file times are newer than the restore _build folder triggering `mix` to recompile.

So I changed 'mix ecto.load to mix ecto.load –no-compile and it went down to 3s, nice.

But alas the next statement mix test –no-compile –trace –exclude not_implemented –max-failures 1 ignores the –no-compile flag and compiles the app.

Am I missing something here?

It is easy to test on your local machine.

mix test --no-compile
Generated dashboard app
Running ExUnit with seed: 602546, max_cases: 28

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Finished in 13.1 seconds (8.3s async, 4.8s sync)
849 tests, 0 failures

mix test --no-compile
Running ExUnit with seed: 22162, max_cases: 28

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Finished in 12.9 seconds (8.3s async, 4.6s sync)
849 tests, 0 failures

touch mix.exs

mix test --no-compile
Generated dashboard app
Running ExUnit with seed: 463358, max_cases: 28

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Finished in 12.4 seconds (8.4s async, 4.0s sync)
849 tests, 0 failures

The first time you can see it compiled the Generated dashboard app, the second time it didn’t, after touching mix.exs, it compiled again.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews