david234

david234

Schema File:

defmodule Logistics.Users.User do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  @primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
  @foreign_key_type :binary_id
  schema "users_info" do
    field :email, :string
    field :name, :string
    field :password, :string
    field :permission_groups, {:array, :string }, default: []
    field :phone, :string

    field :status, :integer, default: 1
    field :parent_id, :binary_id

    timestamps()
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(user, attrs) do
    user
    |> cast(attrs, [:name, :password, :email, :status, :permission_groups, :phone, :parent_id])
    |> validate_required([:name, :password, :email, :status, :permission_groups, :parent_id])
    |> unique_constraint(:email)
  end

  @doc false
  def add_user_changeset(user, attrs) do
    user
      |> cast(attrs, [:name, :password, :email, :status, :parent_id, :permission_groups, :phone])
      |> validate_required([:name, :password, :email, :parent_id, :permission_groups])
      |> unique_constraint(:email)
  end

end

Migration File :

defmodule Logistics.Repo.Migrations.CreateUsers do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:users_info, primary_key: false) do
      add :id, :binary_id, primary_key: true
      add :name, :string
      add :password, :string
      add :email, :string
      add :status, :string
      add :permission_groups, {:array, :string}, default: []
      add :phone, :string
      add :parent_id, references(:admins, on_delete: :nothing, type: :binary_id)

      timestamps()
    end

    create unique_index(:users_info, [:email])
    create index(:users_info, [:parent_id])
  end
end

Insert Code:

  def create_user(attrs \\ %{}) do
    %User{}
    |> User.changeset(attrs)
    |> Repo.insert()
  end

Terminal output:


[debug] QUERY ERROR db=83.6ms queue=75.4ms
INSERT INTO "users_info" ("email","name","parent_id","password","permission_groups","status","inserted_at","updated_at","id") VALUES ($1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9) ["karthijaya123@gmail.com", "David", <<207, 113, 150, 134, 183, 228, 76, 96, 191, 94, 131, 86, 40, 231, 35, 163>>, "123456", ["admin_for_locations", "admin_for_products"], 1, ~N[2020-01-02 12:03:14], ~N[2020-01-02 12:03:14], <<229, 190, 241, 115, 65, 251, 78, 123, 131, 149, 30, 115, 68, 61, 125, 3>>]
[info] Sent 500 in 388ms
[error] #PID<0.644.0> running LogisticsWeb.Endpoint (connection #PID<0.640.0>, stream id 2) terminated
Server: 165.22.212.1:6004 (http)
Request: POST /admin/user/add
** (exit) an exception was raised:
    ** (DBConnection.EncodeError) Postgrex expected a binary, got 1. Please make sure the value you are passing matches the definition in your table or in your query or convert the value accordingly.
        (postgrex) lib/postgrex/type_module.ex:897: Postgrex.DefaultTypes.encode_params/3
        (postgrex) lib/postgrex/query.ex:75: DBConnection.Query.Postgrex.Query.encode/3
        (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:1148: DBConnection.encode/5
        (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:1246: DBConnection.run_prepare_execute/5
        (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:1342: DBConnection.run/6
        (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:540: DBConnection.parsed_prepare_execute/5
        (db_connection) lib/db_connection.ex:533: DBConnection.prepare_execute/4
        (postgrex) lib/postgrex.ex:198: Postgrex.query/4
        (ecto_sql) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:666: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.struct/10
        (ecto) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:651: Ecto.Repo.Schema.apply/4
        (ecto) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:262: anonymous fn/15 in Ecto.Repo.Schema.do_insert/4
        (logistics) lib/logistics_web/controllers/admin/user_controller.ex:107: LogisticsWeb.Admin.UserController.create/2
        (logistics) lib/logistics_web/controllers/admin/user_controller.ex:1: LogisticsWeb.Admin.UserController.action/2
        (logistics) lib/logistics_web/controllers/admin/user_controller.ex:1: LogisticsWeb.Admin.UserController.phoenix_controller_pipeline/2
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/router.ex:288: Phoenix.Router.__call__/2
        (logistics) lib/logistics_web/endpoint.ex:1: LogisticsWeb.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
        (logistics) lib/plug/debugger.ex:122: LogisticsWeb.Endpoint."call (overridable 3)"/2
        (logistics) lib/logistics_web/endpoint.ex:1: LogisticsWeb.Endpoint.call/2
        (phoenix) lib/phoenix/endpoint/cowboy2_handler.ex:42: Phoenix.Endpoint.Cowboy2Handler.init/4
        (cowboy) /srv/logistics/deps/cowboy/src/cowboy_handler.erl:41: :cowboy_handler.execute/2

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Your :status types are mismatching. You schema types it as :integer and your db/migration as :string.

david234

david234 OP

Yes its my mistake. Thank you very much for your help:-)

Aetherus

Aetherus

Recently I found a similar problem:

iex> sql = "SELECT $1 AS foo"
iex> params = [1]
iex> Repo.query!(sql, params)

And the same error was raised while I was expecting something like

%Postgrex.Result{
  columns: ["foo"],
  rows: [[1]]
}

So, how can I make this work?

By the way, this works:

iex> sql = "SELECT $1 AS foo"
iex> params = ["bar"]
iex> Repo.query!(sql, params)

%Postgrex.Result{
  columns: ["foo"],
  rows: [["bar"]]
}
dom

dom

SELECT $1::integer AS foo

Aetherus

Aetherus

What if I don’t know the type of the params? They could be integers, floats, booleans, strings, or even dates.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Afaik you need to know types in advance, as you can see by the error. The postgres documentation seems to suggest that inferring the type is possible, but may fail to happen, which is likely the reason for postgrex to be explicit about it.

Aetherus

Aetherus

So I guess when querying with raw SQL, the best shot is to write a type conversion util and explicitly add types after each placeholder.

Aetherus

Aetherus

But it’s a little bit weird that this works:

iex> sql = "SELECT 1 AS foo WHERE 1 = $1"
iex> params = [1]
iex> Repo.query!(sql, params)

%Postgrex.Result{
  columns: ["foo"],
  rows: [[1]]
}

so does this:

iex> sql = "SELECT 1 AS foo WHERE $1 = 1"
iex> params = [1]
iex> Repo.query!(sql, params)

but this fails:

iex> sql = "SELECT 1 AS foo WHERE $1 = $2"
iex> params = [1, 1]
iex> Repo.query!(sql, params)

What’s the difference between placeholders in SELECT clause versus placeholders in WHERE clause, and the what’s the difference between, well, I don’t know how to name it?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Prepared statements can take parameters: values that are substituted into the statement when it is executed. When creating the prepared statement, refer to parameters by position, using $1, $2, etc. A corresponding list of parameter data types can optionally be specified. When a parameter’s data type is not specified or is declared as unknown, the type is inferred from the context in which the parameter is used (if possible).

Source

It’s easy to forget that using parameters is different from having data directly in the sql query. What might work when values are interpolated into the sql, might not work when using parameters, because postgres has not enough information to work with.

In your examples in both initial cases postgres knows the type of one side of the comparison. In the last one there’s essentially no type information available.

Aetherus

Aetherus

OK, I guess in the cases of SELECT 1 AS foo WHERE 1 = $1 and SELECT 1 AS foo WHERE $1 = 1, Postgrex has enough information to guess the type of the placeholder (same as the type on the other side of =).

But in the other cases, Postgrex has no clue what type the placeholders are, so it assumes they should be text.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews