alexgleason

alexgleason

Hey guys, I’m developing Pleroma and preparing it to scale. Of course the bottleneck is not Elixir, but the Postgres database.

It runs an SQL query to generate each user’s home feed, and this query is expensive and slow.

In the Ruby world, Mastodon solves this problem with Redis. A background worker pre-generates feeds for each user and stores them in memory, ready to be served at any time.

I’m wondering what your opinions are on options in Elixir. Is it reasonable to use ETS to solve this problem?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

It definitely is but it really depends on the shape of the data and how quickly does it expire and it’s especially dependent on how well can you segment this data – I mean in terms of unique caching keys.

Have you looked at Cachex?

If you are thinking about having multi-node caches I feel you’d be going against the wind here and maybe should just use Redis indeed.

gpopides

gpopides

When you say that the query is expensive/slow, to me it seems that you have identified your problem and it’s in the database. Perhaps improving the query it self could solve the problem? Maybe using database views? Trying to optimize the application layer with caches before looking for a solution for the problem itself feels like you will encounter more problems with invalidating caches and so on.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews