Phillipp

Phillipp

Hey,

I have a NanoPi-M3 and try to install Elixir on their Ubuntu image. I followed the Raspberry Pi installation instructions from the Elixir website and installed Elixir 1.6.

pi@NanoPi-M3:~$ elixir -v
Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.1.5] [source] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Elixir 1.6.1 (compiled with OTP 19)

Now when I try to install Hex I get:

pi@NanoPi-M3:~$ mix local.hex

18:04:10.362 [error] Unable to load crypto library. Failed with error:
":load_failed, Failed to load NIF library /usr/lib/erlang/lib/crypto-4.1/priv/lib/crypto: 'libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'"
OpenSSL might not be installed on this system.


18:04:10.372 [warn]  The on_load function for module crypto returned:
{:error, {:load_failed, 'Failed to load NIF library /usr/lib/erlang/lib/crypto-4.1/priv/lib/crypto: \'libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory\''}}

** (Mix) httpc request failed with: {:failed_connect, [{:to_address, {'repo.hex.pm', 443}}, {:inet, [:inet], {:eoptions, {:undef, [{:crypto, :supports, [], []}, {:tls_record, :supported_protocol_versions, 1, [file: 'tls_record.erl', line: 407]}, {:tls_record, :supported_protocol_versions, 0, [file: 'tls_record.erl', line: 247]}, {:ssl, :handle_options, 3, [file: 'ssl.erl', line: 709]}, {:ssl, :connect, 4, [file: 'ssl.erl', line: 115]}, {:http_transport, :connect, 4, [file: 'http_transport.erl', line: 109]}, {:httpc_handler, :connect, 4, [file: 'httpc_handler.erl', line: 790]}, {:httpc_handler, :connect_and_send_first_request, 3, [file: 'httpc_handler.erl', line: 802]}]}}}]}

Could not install Hex because Mix could not download metadata at https://repo.hex.pm/installs/hex-1.x.csv.

I then tried to install erlang-crypto but it fails due to missing libssl1.1.0.

pi@NanoPi-M3:~$ sudo apt-get install erlang-crypto
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 erlang-crypto : Depends: libssl1.1 (>= 1.1.0) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Then I compiled OpenSSL 1.1.0 from source.

pi@NanoPi-M3:~$ openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.0f  25 May 2017

But I get the same error when I try to install erlang-crypto.

Now I am at the point where I want to throw the NanoPi-M3 into a corner of my room. It’s really frustrating that it seems to be impossible to get anything working on an ARM based machine.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

outlog

outlog

Phillipp

Phillipp OP

I considered it earlier but was unsure if it’ll work on ARM based systems at all.

dokuzbir

dokuzbir

aptitude is better about unmet dependencies. You can give it a try

sudo apt-get install aptitude
sudo aptitude install erlang-crypto
NobbZ

NobbZ

Of course you do, apt isn’t aware of the source compiled openssl.

When you try to install libssl manually what message do you get then?

It should be available in the Ubuntu arm repositories…

Phillipp

Phillipp OP

I used @dokuzbir s solution and it worked. But it seems like it swapped the esl-erlang package with the erlang-* packages. I think I gonna do a clean install with asdf later.

maz

maz

I have the same problem but while running a docker-compose run --rm myapp migrate command. Ubuntu 18.04. It fails on this line in my release_tasks.ex:

Ecto.Migrator.run(repo, migrations_path, :up, all: true)

The deployment and migration succeeded many times before so I have no idea why this happened all of a sudden. I even reverted to the last successful deployment and the issue still appeared. I tried @dokuzbir suggestion and it made no difference. I also updated to all the security and os updates. I don’t think I can use asdf because that would obviate the use of Docker. Any suggestions?

here is the pertinent part of the log:

Running migrations for db
17:16:43.739 [error] Unable to load crypto library. Failed with error:
":load_failed, Failed to load NIF library: 'Error loading shared library libcrypto.so.1.1: No such file or directory (needed by /app/lib/crypto-4.4/priv/lib/crypto.so)'"
OpenSSL might not be installed on this system.

17:16:43.752 [error] Unable to load crypto library. Failed with error:
":load_failed, Failed to load NIF library: 'Error loading shared library libcrypto.so.1.1: No such file or directory (needed by /app/lib/crypto-4.4/priv/lib/crypto.so)'"
OpenSSL might not be installed on this system.

17:16:43.761 [warn] The on_load function for module crypto returned:
{:error, {:load_failed, 'Failed to load NIF library: \'Error loading shared library libcrypto.so.1.1: No such file or directory (needed by /app/lib/crypto-4.4/priv/lib/crypto.so)\''}}

17:16:43.774 [error] GenServer #PID<0.145.0> terminating
** (RuntimeError) connect raised UndefinedFunctionError exception.The exception details are hidden, as they may contain sensitive data such as database credentials. You may set :show_sensitive_data_on_connection_error to true if you wish to see all of the details
    (crypto) :crypto.hash/2
    (postgrex) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:721: Postgrex.Protocol.auth_md5/4
    (postgrex) lib/postgrex/protocol.ex:576: Postgrex.Protocol.handshake/2
    (db_connection) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:66: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
    (connection) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
    (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:249: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: nil
17:16:43.786 [error] Unable to load crypto library. Failed with error:
":load_failed, Failed to load NIF library: 'Error loading shared library libcrypto.so.1.1: No such file or directory (needed by /app/lib/crypto-4.4/priv/lib/crypto.so)'"
OpenSSL might not be installed on this system.
dokuzbir

dokuzbir

sudo apt-get install erlang-crypto

what kind of error you get when you try install ?

maz

maz

while running as root:

root@****:~/api.faithfulword.app/add-1.2-api# apt-get install erlang-crypto
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
erlang-crypto is already the newest version (1:20.2.2+dfsg-1ubuntu2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
dokuzbir

dokuzbir

And how about OpenSSL ? Can you check version of it ?

maz

maz

root@****:~/api.faithfulword.app/add-1.2-api# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.1.0g  2 Nov 2017

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews