Release date for elixir books

Hi all
I want to ask when is the release date for the book https://pragprog.com/book/elixir12/programming-elixir-1-2 and https://pragprog.com/book/phoenix/programming-phoenix
Thanks

2 Likes

You can buy both now and as far as I know PE 1.2 is complete and having final touches/editing, and PP just has one chapter left before it goes through final editing etc.

If you buy now you will get free updates of the book until they are complete :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much

1 Like

I had my Programming Elixir 1.2 book on pre-order, and I just got an email saying it should be here by Wednesday. :grin:

2 Likes

A Paper Version? That would be great. I’ve been reading the e-version, but for books that I really want to dig into, I really prefer a paper version.

3 Likes

Yes. I prefer the paper versions too :slight_smile: Having the ebook is nice to Ctrl+F on, but I don’t prefer it for the bulk of my reading.

2 Likes

I must be the odd one out - I do almost all of my reading on the Kindle.

I love being able to highlight stuff - which I use for the things I consider most important in a chapter (or something I think I might need reminding of) then before I start another reading session I go through the last chapters highlights to refresh my memory.

1 Like

I have bought both.
PP is great one - I have already read a half.
PE - just started, but it is great, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woohoo!! I can’t wait to work through this book.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to get back into it too!

Shall we start a thread about it so we can post comments etc - even if just to say how much we’re through it/chapters we’ve completed etc. It could be motivational :lol:

3 Likes

Do you have the first Programming Elixir book?

I’m wondering how much change there is between the 1.2 version and the first PE book. I worked through the first book, and I’m wondering if it’s worth it to buy PE 1.2.

1 Like

No, I haven’t read the first one. This is my first Elixir book! :slight_smile:

There are some new language features and some types were deprecated because of the move to Erlang 18. (See the changes between versions on their blog: 1.1 and 1.2). The PragProg page for the book says:

This edition of the book has been updated to cover Elixir 1.2, including the new with expression, the exrm release manager, and the removal of deprecated types.

I would think you can find that information on elixir-lang.org or pragdave.me or other blogs on the internet. You maybe can get a discount from having the first edition though.

3 Likes

Thanks. I decided to order it as a paperback, since the rest of my Elixir/Phoenix books are Kindle/ebook. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you get a free upgrade Dina? I’m sure I did - but then it wasn’t long after I had purchased it that it got updated to 1.2.

I didn’t buy the first one through Pragprog, (bought at Amazon), so probably not eligible?

1 Like

Ah I C - and yeah you’re right, you can only get upgrades if you buy directly.

But we have a forum discount, right?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup - 25% off any Pragprog ebook :003:

1 Like

So when is the release date for the paperback version of Programming Phoenix…?

1 Like

I do the same but without the Kindle. I just use a pdf and read on my desktop, laptop/tablet hybrid. Then put the file, after every reading, on dropbox and have access to it with all the recent highlighting from any device.

Been thinking hard about getting a Kindle, but I think I’d rather get a 9.7" iPad Pro instead.

1 Like