MEHUL.JAIN

MEHUL.JAIN

I am trying to avoid deadlock between my Ecto Transaction operating on the same Table. To do that I am trying to replicate Postgres “Select .. for Update” in Ecto Multi.
Question is: Can I avoid lock here?

Query:

    query =
      from(s in Split,
        where: <condition>
        lock: fragment("FOR UPDATE OF ?", s),
        order_by: [asc: :id],
        select: %{
          id: s.id
        }
      )

    Repo.multi_update_all(
      multi,
      :updated_splits,
      from(s in Split,
        join: t in subquery(query),
        on: s.id == t.id,
        update: [
          set: [
            ....
          ]
        ]
       ),
      []
    )

Showing Posts 1 to 2

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

AFAIK there is no difference between locking for update and selecting for update, if that is what you are getting at. Beyond that, to tell you if you can avoid the lock from a bigger picture perspective, I’d need to know a lot more about how it all fit together.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

PostgreSQL has a bit more granular locks that might help you but indeed you need to share your scenario so we can recommend something.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews