mikesax
I was writing code that included a function I would call later (so it wasn’t called yet). I got a warning, and I thought I could put an underscore before the function name, the way it works for variables, but that didn’t work. While writing @compile :nowarn_unused_functions isn’t a terrible hardship, it would be nice to simply write:
def _unused_function do
end
Trending in Proposals: Ideas
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
I’m not sure I see the use in this. Not using a variable have legitimate reasons to exist in elixir programs. E.g. a certain parameter might only be used some parts of the branched execution of multiple function heads.
An unused private function has no such reason to exist.
Also it’s just a warning, which can easily be ignored until a chunk of code is completed. E.g. zig actually refuses to compile if you have e.g. unused variables.
mikesax
Yes, while I’m not familiar with Zig I agree that (besides unused parameters) for variables there is other value such as documentation/readability. The only use case that comes to mind is the one I was running into: telling the compiler “I know this is unused” while writing unfinished code (and I expected it to work consistently). I often have an urge to fix warnings immediately, so it’s distracting.
sodapopcan
Me too, but I just comment them out. Best solved with your editor, I’d say! Depending on your editor, you could look for something that gives you “comment out function” with a simple key combo.