AlanMcCann

AlanMcCann

I’m having trouble getting Supervisor.start_child to work and I get the following error when running these commands (the supervisor is started automatically. Any help is appreciated. I’m likely missing something simple.

import Supervisor.Spec
sup_pid = sup_pid = Process.whereis(App.SessionSupervisor)
Supervisor.start_child(sup_pid,["a"])

{:error,
   {:EXIT,
    {:undef,
      [{App.Session, :start_link, [["a"]], []},
      {:supervisor, :do_start_child_i, 3, [file: 'supervisor.erl', line: 374]},
      {:supervisor, :handle_call, 3, [file: 'supervisor.erl', line: 399]},
      {:gen_server, :try_handle_call, 4, [file: 'gen_server.erl', line: 629]},
      {:gen_server, :handle_msg, 5, [file: 'gen_server.erl', line: 661]},
      {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: 'proc_lib.erl', line: 240]}]}}}

session_supervisor.ex

defmodule App.SessionSupervisor do
  use Supervisor

  def start_link do
    Supervisor.start_link(__MODULE__, :ok, name: App.SessionSupervisor)
  end

  def init(:ok) do
    children = [worker(App.Session, [], restart: :transient)]
    worker(App.Session, [], restart: :transient)

    supervise(children, strategy: :simple_one_for_one)
  end
end

session.ex

defmodule App.Session do

  use GenServer

  @doc """
  Starts a new session.
  """
  def start_link(uuid, opts \\ []) do
    GenServer.start_link(__MODULE__, %{uuid: uuid})
  end

… rest of the code.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

scouten

scouten

Hi Alan, bumped into this just a few hours ago myself. The docs on this are terrible at telling you what you should provide. (Thankfully, that is a rarity!)

In my case, I had printed a start_link/1 function, but I needed to provide a start_link/2 function. Took me a while to get that right.

In your code, in see three different models name prefixes: App, Jaeger, and Jeager. Perhaps this is as simple as a typo?

AlanMcCann

AlanMcCann OP

Thanks for the reply.

The different models were just failed attempts at obfuscating/generalizing the code after initially pasting it in. They are now changed to all be App. I went back and double checked all of the code and it isn’t a typo.

I thought I had a start_link/2 function but perhaps I’m missing something in the proper parameters

NobbZ

NobbZ

Are you sure that App.Session is compiled AND loaded?

  1. Take a look at the _build/$MIX_ENV-folder and search for a file named Elixir.App.Session.beam, if it is not there than your code doesn’t get compiled.
  2. If that file does exist, please make sure your application and all of its dependencies are starting up correctly.
AlanMcCann

AlanMcCann OP

@Nobbz: Thanks for the debugging tip… that was new learning for me.

the file is there and I’m able to start the session Genserver from iex -S mix

{:ok, pid} = App.Session.start_link("uuid", [])
{:ok, #PID<0.468.0>}

Running :observer.start I can see Elixir.App.Supervisor → Elixir.App.SessionSupervisor. I don’t know if it is possible to inspect models from :observer.

AlanMcCann

AlanMcCann OP

Fix found - formatting the params for start_link as

["uuid", []]

vs

"uuid", []

allows it to properly started a linked child process

>iex -S mix
Erlang/OTP 18 [erts-7.3] [source-d2a6d81] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [async-threads:10] [hipe] [kernel-poll:false]

Interactive Elixir (1.3.2) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> sup_pid = Process.whereis(App.SessionSupervisor)
#PID<0.304.0>
iex(2)> Supervisor.count_children(sup_pid)
%{active: 0, specs: 1, supervisors: 0, workers: 0}
iex(3)> {:ok, pid} = Supervisor.start_child(sup_pid, ["uuid", []])
{:ok, #PID<0.311.0>}
iex(4)> Supervisor.count_children(sup_pid)
%{active: 1, specs: 1, supervisors: 0, workers: 1}

Thanks @NobbZ and @scouten for offering good pointers.

aharpole

aharpole

In my case, I had printed a start_link/1 function, but I needed to provide a start_link/2 function.

Because there are a lot of start_link functions in this example, I thought I’d mention that you want start_link/2 in the GenServer supervised by your DynamicSupervisor (App.Session in the above example).

vinibrl

vinibrl

For those who might run into this problem, in my case it was a typo in the module name.

child_spec = %{
  id: WrongModuleName, # << typo here!
  start: {WrongModuleName, :start_link, [arg]},
  restart: :transient
}

case DynamicSupervisor.start_child(__MODULE__, child_spec) do
  {:error, {:already_started, pid}} -> {:ok, pid}
  {:ok, pid} -> {:ok, pid}
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews