fireproofsocks

fireproofsocks

Just wanting to make sure… there are a handful of functions in the Task module that support different arities, e.g. Task.start/1 vs. Task.start/3, or Task.async_stream/3 vs. Task.async_stream/5. In all cases, the difference boils down to either passing an anonymous function (defined with fn) or using the long-form MFA notation.

From reading a bit about Task — Elixir v1.20.2 and Agent — Elixir v1.20.2, I understand that sometimes you MUST use the more verbose MFA notation to properly designate a function that will execute. Is the MFA notation only required when we are dealing with distributed nodes? Are the shorter function signatures (e.g. Task.start/1) only a convenience, or are there any cases where you would want to require that all instances of the module + function were the same version?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Mostly it’s a matter of “those are the two ways in the BEAM to identify code that should be turned into a process”; see also the core spawn/1,2,3,4 function.

There are situations where an anonymous function isn’t allowed (for instance, in config) and there are other situations where an MFA can’t name the desired function (for instance, private functions) so both forms are useful.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

Anonymous functions can also cause problems during live module upgrades, a.k.a. hot deploys.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews