ksherman
Hiya! Super new to the Elixir/Phoenix lang (enjoying it so far!). This might be a really silly question, but have had a hard time finding resources/examples.
So I have a nested route resources, e.g.
resources "/users", UserController, except: [:new, :edit] do
resources "/lists", ListController, except: [:new, :edit]
end
And then in list_controller, just a basic index:
def index(conn, _params) do
user_lists = Users.list_user_lists()
render(conn, "index.json", user_lists: user_lists)
end
So I’d like to scope this index to the lists that belong to the user_id in this route. There’s obviously a lot of examples with pulling in the immediate related record, e.g. def show(conn, %{"id" => id}) do which pulls in the current route’s list_id, but how do I also get the user record?
My one work-around so far in the ListController.create( ) action is to pull it out of params, something like
Users.create_list(list_params, Users.get_user!(conn.params["user_id"]))
Is there a better way I’m missing? Thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
BrightEyesDavid
Hi! Excuse the brevity; I’m on my phone. This is also untested and based on a quick read of the controller guide (Controllers — Phoenix v1.8.8) and my possibly incorrect memory. (It’s been a while since I’ve worked on my Elixir/Phoenix project!)
That being said, I think the usual way for your lists controller would be something like:
From the guide:
In the show action above, it may not be necessary to include user_id (and its binding to ‘user_id’) in the pattern match, depending on whether or not the user id is needed when getting the list/preparing data for the view.
Related: see the output of
mix phx.routesas per Routing — Phoenix v1.8.8 to see the param names of your router’s routes to use in the pattern matching.ksherman
Ohhh neat, I’ll give that a try, might work a lot nicer.