zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Your standard application generally only tracks what is true right now. Updates overwrite previous data, and asking questions about the past requires either introducing a mechanism to track the previous state of your application (versions), or reshaping your entire mental model of application development (event-driven/event-sourcing). Temporal resources are the answer.

Temporal resources are a new, experimental feature in Ash that make dealing with changes over time boring. You can read it as of any moment, write to it as of any moment (yes, including the future), without changing how you use or write your application (almost) at all. Filters, relationships, aggregates, calculations. All of it from one option, as_of.

I announced the new feature at Goatmire Elixir in a talk called Time Travel for Normies, and I’ve rebuilt it here for the web. These pixel examples are based on a live multi-player game that had the audience split into two teams, competing for territory while traveling and using powerups that travelled through time. You had to be there for that one.

See the full explainer here:

Where Next? Top

Trending in News & Updates Top

Jskalc
LiveVue v1.0 released After four release candidates and a lot of community feedback, LiveVue 1.0 is stable :tada: I’ve built a dedicated...
New
woylie
<span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"></span>let-me 3.0.4 has been released. Changed Log the policy module and the check module in the...
New
webofbits
Aludel 0.8.0 is now available on GitHub and Hex. This release adds typed_judge assertions for evaluations that need deterministic, struc...
New
woylie
Flop Phoenix 0.27.0 has been released. Changed Require Flop 0.29.0, which turns Flop.Schema from a protocol into a behaviour. Determin...
New
woylie
Flop 0.29.0 has been released. Added Add Flop.allowed_fields/2, which returns the fields that may be filtered or sorted for the given ...
New
woylie
Doggo 0.16.1 has been released. Changed The expanded attribute of the tree_item is now handled as initial state only and cannot be upd...
New
fuelen
SeedFactory v0.10.0 has been released. Parameterized traits Traits can now take values: trait :age, :user do exec :create_user, args_...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews