halostatue

halostatue

AshVersioned provides resource versioning for Ash using Slowly Changing Dimension (type 2). There are multiple approaches to SCD type 2, but AshVersioned uses a version number column and a flag indicating the current version.

The Ash ecosystem provides has three other approaches that answer the question “what did this resource look like before?” AshVersioned requires a structural commitment to the core resource definition, whereas the other options place history in separate tables.

  • ash_paper_trail stores historical records into a generated Version linked resource: one history table per versioned resource with matching column definitions.

  • ash_events and ash_event_log store historical records as event logs into a single history table for the entire application. This makes tracking any change across the entire database easy.

    • ash_events stores the action and its inputs, not just the resulting values, so state can be replayed and rebuilt from the event stream. This makes it closer to event sourcing than an audit trail.

    • ash_event_log is the lightest alternative: audit-only, no replay, and logged out-of-band so it doesn’t sit in the write path.

AshVersioned trades the lower friction of out-of-band history for uniformity and durability.

AshVersioned uses one variation of SCD type 2. As stale rows have their update timestamps modified when they become stale, it shares many similarities with a (uni-) temporal table. AshVersioned is not designed for temporal use and cannot readily support more complex temporal types.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

restlessronin
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub. Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
152 12366 136
New
type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
Null-logic-0
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development? Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews