dPhong31415

dPhong31415

Hi everyone,

I’m starting from scratch with Elixir. My background is in Python and JavaScript, but I want to build a web app in Elixir that connects with generative AI models in the backend.

I noticed some books/courses seem outdated, and I don’t want to spend months going through a bunch of older material if there’s a more practical path today. My goal is to learn the language + Phoenix (or Ash?) well enough to spin up a project quickly, and then later connect it with AI/ML (using Nx/Axon or maybe a Python service).

So my questions are:

  • What’s the most practical learning path for someone starting Elixir now?

  • Which resources (courses, books, tutorials) are still relevant and worth the time in 2025?

  • If you were me, how would you go from zero → first production-ready app (web + AI backend) as fast as possible?

Any recommendations or personal experiences would be super helpful :folded_hands:

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

plcholder

plcholder

honestly just read the phx docs , it will teach you everything you need to know. I also dont think any elixir book is really outdated, since elixir is like 13 years old most content is fresh and relevant, even the older books will teach you something ofc if its coupled to a framework, you will need to translate the api as you go. A great book I would recommend, once you get up to speed with phx & elixir is data processing in elixir

Not really sure about AI, there are a couple of AI libraries in elixir but out of my depth/interest and I imagine you aren’t running these models yourself? rather calling an api like openai, grok, google? then what i mentioned above should be enough, there is an elixir machine learning book, but i have not read it. The author has made great blogs, so its probably good

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Chat/Questions Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews