sreyansjain
I have been working mostly on liveview or other server driven frameworks. I have one question.
Can hologram leak unwanted data?
For example lets say a user struct contains name, profile_picture, email and mobile.
I have a UserAvatar component that generates user avatars using name and profile_picture.
Now if I pass the whole user struct to it
<UserAvatar user={@user} />
will the email and mobile also get passed down to the browser.
While they might not be directly visible in the template, but can someone see the other details by changing the js in browser.
Please advise.
P.S: I am exploring hologram and so far it looks pretty good. The action and command system is simple and powerful. Thanks.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies
I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
bartblast
Short answer: Hologram won’t “leak” data across users, but anything you send to the browser for the current user is visible to that user (e.g., via DevTools). Think of it like a REST response: only send what the current user is allowed to see.
What gets compiled to JavaScript
template/0andaction/3, plus componentinit/2(see also: Hologram Elixir → JS compilation)init/3(page and component),command/3What data reaches the browser
About secrets (same rules as frontend JS frameworks)
action/3,template/0, helpers they call, or componentinit/2. As with React/Vue/Svelte, anything hardcoded in client-compiled code ships in the bundle and is visible to anyone.OK (user-authorized data in server
init/3, visible only to that user in the mount payload):OK (user-scoped, least‑privilege token if truly needed client-side):
Not OK (global/shared secret compiled to the public bundle):
TL;DR
Glad to hear the actions/commands model clicks!
derek-zhou
If your bundle contains malicious 3rd party js then your user’s privacy is compromised anyway.
sreyansjain
Thank you so much for the detailed response.
I am sorry I used so much of your time for this.
I get what you explain. Thank you so much.
FlyingNoodle
As far as I understand there is quite a big difference compared to liveview.
Let’s say I have a user that has some attribute that should not be visible for the user, let’s say “is_blocked”. In liveview I can safely pass the entire user struct to a component and all I need to do is make sure that I don’t actually put
{@user.is_blocked}in the template. Pretty easy.However, if I understand correctly, in hologram I would be able to get to this info through Dev tools if I pass the entire struct so I would have to be careful to only pass the args that are supposed to be visible to the user.
Did I understand this correctly? If so, that is quite a big difference.
bartblast
No worries at all! These kinds of questions are really valuable to the community - I’m sure other developers moving from server-side frameworks to Hologram have similar security concerns. Understanding the client-side data flow is crucial, so I’m glad we could clear that up.
bartblast
You get a very simple action/command programming model with zero latency, but you need to account for actions/templates living client-side. So use:
For example, if a bank is processing a credit score using trade secrets, internal algorithms, and user data that should only be visible to the bank, you’d use a command that calls your Phoenix context or some service and returns the data for the template (like the final score or approval status). Actions and templates are basically your view layer that lives in the user’s browser.
The action/command model gives you a clean separation that works nicely in practice, with usage patterns emerging for different cases like server-to-client state updates, and patterns will likely emerge around these client/server data decisions as well.
Looking ahead, I have ideas for additional tooling like a DSL for defining data shapes, and eventually a local-first data layer where user data syncs declaratively and automatically between client and server.
The mindset shift is: “What does this user need to see/interact with?” goes client-side (and gets instant responsiveness), everything else stays server-side.