hakarabakara

hakarabakara

I am using memento to wrap Mnesia functionality into my application.

I want to check if a record with a certain id exists and if not perform certain actions.

Documentation says read should return nil when record doesn’t exist. Howerver, the Memento.transation wrapper aborts with a :not_exists exception therefore my application cannot proceed.

Here’s how my function looks like:

def find_conversation(user_id) do
    Memento.transaction! fn ->
      user_id
      |> read
      |> to_conversation
    end
end

defp to_conversation(nil), do: nil
  defp to_conversation(%@store{} = conversation) do
    struct(Conversation, Map.from_struct(conversation))
  end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

Exadra37

Exadra37

I cannot test it now, but I think you need to call to_conversation/1 outside the Memento transaction.

This is how I do in my app…

To get a resource:

def get_todo!(uid) do
    _read_transaction(uid)
  end

To read it from Mnesia:

defp _read_transaction(uid) do
    result = Memento.transaction fn -> Memento.Query.read(Todo, uid) end
    _parse_fetch_result(result)
end

To parse the result of reading it from Mnesia:

defp _parse_fetch_result(result) do
    case result do
      {:ok, nil} ->
        []
      {:ok, []} ->
        []
      {:ok, todo} ->
        todo
      {:error, error} ->
        Logger.error("_parse_resul/1: #{error}")
        Todo.new_changeset()
    end
  end

To note that the returned values foreach case are specific to my app.

Also bear in my mind that is app serves as a Learning path for me to know more about Mnesia and Elixir, thus I may also not doing it in the best way :wink:

hakarabakara

hakarabakara OP

Thanks for your feedback. I followed your advise, no joy. This is how I did it but result is same

def find_conversation(user_id) do
    results = Memento.transaction! fn -> read(user_id) end
    results
    |> to_conversation
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews