acrolink
With the help and code samples from friends here (@idi527 and others) I have written this function to create multiple book related records. I pass to this function some shared data (current_user and borrower_id) along with a comma separated list of book_ids. I make some custom validations, insert if everything is fine or return error messages if something is wrong. What I receive back at the client side is the result list (as JSON):
def create_record(%{"user_object" => user, "borrower_id" => borrower_id} = attrs, book_list) do
book_list = String.split(book_list, ",")
result = []
for book_id <- book_list do
book_id = book_id |> String.to_integer
alias Ecto.Multi
record_changeset = Mango.Records.Record.changeset(%Record{user_id: user.id, book_id: book_id}, attrs)
Multi.new()
|> Mango.Records.Validators.valid_book_exists_multi(book_id)
|> Mango.Records.Validators.valid_book_belongs_to_current_user_and_borrower_multi(book_id, user, borrower_id)
|> Mango.Records.Validators.valid_last_record_closed_multi(book_id)
|> Multi.insert(:record, record_changeset)
|> Repo.transaction()
|> case do
{:ok, :first_record} -> {:ok}
{:ok, %{record: record}} -> result = result ++ record
{:error, :book_belongs_to_current_user_and_borrower, reason, _changes} -> result = result ++ reason
{:error, :book_exists, reason, _changes} -> result = result ++ reason
{:error, :last_record_closed, reason, _changes} -> result = result ++ reason
end
end
end
You’re welcome to review it and provide feedback ![]()
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Latest Phoenix Threads
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
idi527
Does it work?
Note that
for ... <- ...is not a for loop, but a list comprehension. You don’t need to doresult = []andresult = result ++ reason.I’d probably try and “invert” the logic and first do the list comprehension, and then all these
MultiandRepo.transaction…But without significantly changing the logic of your example, I’d probably write something like:
It’s also not quite clear to me what this code is supposed to do and whether it should halt at invalid changesets / failed “validators” or continue …
acrolink
@idi527, thank you very much for sharing. I will look into this tomorrow and surely provide feedback. It should continue, and if there are some validation errors it will report in the returned JSON response. The code as I wrote it above works. But I am looking forward to try your suggestions.
joaquinalcerro
You might want to separate the Multi related code to a different function for code reuse. For example: