nezzart

nezzart

I have a key as a variable, I want to create a Map with a key :key1 or “key2” using one of the variables, but I’m unable to:

iex(24)> a1 = :key1
:key1
iex(25)> a2 = "key2"     
"key2"
iex(26)> %{a1: 123}
%{a1: 123}
iex(27)> %{:a1 => 123}
%{a1: 123}
iex(28)> %{^a2 => 123}
** (CompileError) iex:28: cannot use ^a2 outside of match clauses
    (stdlib) lists.erl:1354: :lists.mapfoldl/3
iex(28)> %{^a1 => 123}
** (CompileError) iex:28: cannot use ^a1 outside of match clauses
    (stdlib) lists.erl:1354: :lists.mapfoldl/3

Showing Posts 1 to 2

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Don’t use the ^, just put a1 => 123 for it. :slight_smile:

smpallen99

smpallen99

You only use the pin operator ^ inside a match. It is used where you want to match on the value bound to the variable, and not bind a value to the variable.

iex(1)> a = 5
5
iex(2)> a = 7
7
iex(3)> ^a = 7
7
iex(4)> ^a = 5
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: 5
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews