morteza

morteza

Hey
when i use --no-brunch ,delete method does not work in front end ,why phoenix force me to use brunch or some things like that ? if i dont want to use brunch or webpack and … what should i do for working delete method in front end ?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

The browser does not natively support delete requests so for them to work you will need to include the Phoenix HTML Javascript file (phoenix_html/priv/static/phoenix_html.js at main · phoenixframework/phoenix_html · GitHub)

In removing brunch you will have also removed the mechanism through which this file was added previously. Load it on the page through a method of your choice and delete link will work again.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Except you can set the delete method in the form, you don’t need javascript at all. What the javascript is used for is the ‘are you sure’ question of it, which you can leave out if you don’t need it and/or want to get rid of javascript (you can emulate it well enough via CSS and DOM nodes anyway as I’ve done at work).

abitdodgy

abitdodgy

What if you are submitting the form via a link, though? For example, a link that triggers a delete request? I think then you would still need the JS.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

As per the HTML5 standards, raw links only method is GET (never PUT/POST/DELETE/etc… though they can potentially cause a HEAD or OPTION request), and raw links should not make effectful changes into a system, only forms should cause effectful changes.

morteza

morteza OP

thank you for response,can you explain this ? i am new to the web programming specially in front end

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

The phoenix_html ‘delete’ button function actually just makes a form that does nothing when clicked, it instead delegates the functionality to javascript to cause a popup box to ask if you are sure you want to delete it and if the user clicks Ok then it sends the command. I really don’t like that pattern as then it won’t work when I’m in, for example, elinks (as I often am), so they just don’t work for me. Using a proper form with just CSS to fix it up and ask a question on first expansion is far more reliable and ‘safe’.

morteza

morteza OP

if possible send me example about this , i dont like to use or see magic codes in my program and the delete link which generated by phoenix confuses me
or show me a way to dont use the phoenix_html.js

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

This is my delete button that I use:

 @doc """
  This must not be inside of another form!
  """
  def delete_button(path), do: delete_button(path, :raised, [])
  def delete_button(path, btn_type) when is_atom(btn_type), do: delete_button(path, btn_type, [])
  def delete_button(path, opts) when is_list(opts), do: delete_button(path, :raised, opts)
  def delete_button(path, btn_type, opts) do
    {form, opts} = Keyword.pop(opts, :form, [])
    {form_class, form} = Keyword.pop(form, :class, "")
    form = Enum.map(form, fn {k, v} -> ~E{ <%= dasherize(k) %>="<%= v %>"} end)
    opts = opts ++ [do: "Delete"]
    opts = Keyword.put(opts, :class, "btn--red #{opts[:class]}")
    ~E"""
    <form action="<%= path %>" class="link <%= form_class %>" method="post"<%= form %>>
      <input name="_method" type="hidden" value="delete">
      <input name="_csrf_token" type="hidden" value="<%= get_csrf_token() %>">
      <%= button(:submit, btn_type, opts) %>
    </form>
    """
  end

And if I want an ‘are you sure’ kind of thing then I instead just put it inside a pure CSS collapsible element that I use here with the title of it as something like ‘Dangerous options’ or whatever and the delete button inside of it, so it first has to be expanded then the delete button can be clicked or so.

morteza

morteza OP

thank you bro :pray::pray:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Just for clarity, this is the important bit of it. It is a form with the action being the path to delete to, the method is ‘post’ (just because browsers don’t support non get/post methods very well), but then you override the method with the hidden input named _method with it’s value set to delete, and of course a CSRF token as all good forms should have, and the button to actually submit the delete form request. :slight_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews