dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Hello,
I am trying to cast data for which I specify types dynamically at runtime. In my particular case I’d like to validate that a single field is an array of string-keyed maps with single key/value both of which are strings, and the value should be one of a strict set of strings.

It’s about casting a standardised (in our company) sorting parameters passed to our Phoenix controllers.

The Phoenix parameters format goes like this:

%{
  sort: [ %{"birthdate" => "desc"}, %{"inserted_at" => "asc"} ]
  # all other parameters
}

(This is achieved by sending an HTTP query like so: ?sort[][birthdate]=desc&sort[][inserted_at]=asc)

At the moment I am doing this:

fields = [:sort]
params = %{"sort" => [%{"birthdate" => "desc"}, %{"inserted_at" => "desc"}]}
types = %{sort: {:array, :map}}
Ecto.Changeset.cast({%{}, types}, params, fields)

And it works (meaning the resulting changeset is valid).

However, I wonder if there’s a way to achieve finer-grained control of the type of the sort key. I blindly tried this: types = %{sort: {:array, {:map, :string}}} and it also worked, but to be completely honest I have no idea why. :003:

Is there a way to achieve this finer-grained type control when casting with Ecto’s Changeset? If so, where is it documented?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

The docs start here: Ecto.Schema — Ecto v3.1.7
Wherever you read inner_type you can nest any other type available, which is what makes {:array, {:map, :string}} possible.

Edit:

I’d also not really make the casting to strict, because all you get as error would be is invalid. Rather make casting ensure you get a known format of data and let other validation steps validate the details with proper error messages.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

Thank you. But what does it represent really? A map with string keys? With string values? Or both?

Really good advice, appreciate it. How would you go about doing it?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

As keys are always in “danger” of being serialized to strings (because they’re external to the VM when stored in a db) it means {:map, :string} is a map of :string values.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp OP

I ended up eschewing cast for some of those special fields altogether. I ignore them in the initial cast call and then call a function that does exhaustive type and data shape validation, calling add_error or put_change wherever appropriate. Communicates errors and intent much better than having a generic "is invalid" message indeed.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews