yumm

yumm

Hi all! I’m new to elixir and phoenix and am trying to run this project:
https://github.com/chvanikoff/reph2

I want to convert an existing react app (or at least the rest api for the database to elixir but every example project I find on Github has some sort or error regarding ecto. I’ve tried all the examples posted in https://forum.elixirforum.com/t/user-authentication-in-phoenix/118/81 but encounter similar errors to this:
could not compile dependency :phoenix_ecto, "mix compile" failed. You can recompile this dependency with "mix deps.compile phoenix_ecto", update it with "mix deps.update phoenix_ecto" or clean it with "mix deps.clean phoenix_ecto"

I’ve tried cleaning all my mix packages as well as mix.update --all.

Are all these projects just dead or am I missing something?

Also if anyone has suggestions of a working example of a elixir server with authentication (ideally with react as well) please do hesitate to share.

Thank you to the elixir developers I can see the magic in the bottle but still feel like I’m taping on the glass.

Thank you for any/all suggestions/ideas/setting me straight

Showing Posts 1 to 9

NobbZ

NobbZ

Even though I can compile the dependencies on my system (Arch linux), it fails currently with the router and prints out about a billion of warnings.

Also the particular example you posted is written in phoenix 1.1, so it will give you a false sense of how things are done today.

You should search for examples that use a more current phoenix (1.3).

Sadly I can’t give you any links to small example projects, but only to a fully grown application: The hex.pm website.

yurko

yurko

This one seems to work, I’ve just tested it locally GitHub - chernyshof/react-phoenix-users-boilerplate: Elixir/Phoenix + React + users template/boilerplate. · GitHub and it uses Phoenix 1.3

One thing to note is that you’d have to use admin@admin.com and not just admin as stated in the readme in order to log in.

voger

voger

Here is a toy project of mine GitHub - voger/GQLardian: Playground to learn about Guardian and Absinthe · GitHub
Very incomplete, very abandoned, very learning toy but fairly new. A very stupid blog app that I abandoned when doing permissions. No react. Just absinthe, guardian and off course the Ecto you are interested at.

yumm

yumm OP

Thank you all for your insightful responses. They all provide great references to study.

@yurko were you able to get this one running? I’ve tried but am receiving this error when I follow the install instructions on their README:
08:31:47.792 [error] GenServer #PID<0.4925.0> terminating ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp connect (localhost:5432): connection refused - :econnrefused (db_connection) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:148: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2 (connection) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5 (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:247: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3 Last message: nil State: Postgrex.Protocol ** (Mix) The database for Boilerplate.Repo couldn't be created: an exception was raised: ** (DBConnection.ConnectionError) tcp connect (localhost:5432): connection refused - :econnrefused (db_connection) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:148: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2 (connection) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5 (stdlib) proc_lib.erl:247: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3

This looks to me like postgres is not installed. Am I correct in assuming I should first install posgres on my machine (OSx 10.13) then retry the install? Also am I safe using the postgres 10.4 or should I use a older version?

Regardless you have already been more then helpful thank you very much.

yumm

yumm OP

The problem was that postgres had to be installed. However now that I have done this I am encountering a new error: `** (Mix) The database for Boilerplate.Repo couldn’t be created: FATAL 28P01 (invalid_password): password authentication failed for user “postgres”

09:41:21.773 [error] GenServer pid<0.4925.0> terminating
** (Postgrex.Error) FATAL 28P01 (invalid_password): password authentication failed for user “postgres”
(db_connection) lib/db_connection/connection.ex:148: DBConnection.Connection.connect/2
(connection) lib/connection.ex:622: Connection.enter_connect/5
(stdlib) proc_lib.erl:247: :proc_lib.init_p_do_apply/3
Last message: nil
State: Postgrex.Protocol`

when running mix ecto.create

Is there a specific postgres password i need to use so that it will be compatible with ecto? or does it have to be blank? although that seems unsecure..

Regardless thank you again for all the help and while I will greatly appreciate replies I understand your all very busy so I’m mostly using this thread to think through the errors I encounter and document results for others to reference.

Thanks

yurko

yurko

Yes, you need postgres and then you need to set up the connection, edit your dev config and set up username, password etc, s. react-phoenix-users-boilerplate/config/dev.exs at master · chernyshof/react-phoenix-users-boilerplate · GitHub

Your local database doesn’t have to be secure unless it’s open to the outside world. If you want to set the password you can do something like this:

sudo -u postgres psql
ALTER USER "postgres" WITH PASSWORD 'new_password';
yumm

yumm OP

@yurko Thank you so much this worked. For others All I had to do was change the database name from ‘boilerplate_dev’ to ‘postgres’ this is the name of the default database that was created when I installed postgres with the enterpriseDB installer.

Thank you all again for helping.

voger

voger

This doesn’t seem right. When you run mix ecto.create it should create that database for you.

yumm

yumm OP

@voger your correct. I was able to duplicate my project and use ‘boilerplate_dev’ as database name. please ignore the previous version of this reply as that error was simply due to a node.js server interfering with phoenix.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews