Elixir.LDN Talks

Just starting to go up - here’s the first three:

By @lpil

By @Crowdhailer

By Evadne Wu (Why aren’t you a member Evadne :p)

12 Likes

Enjoying the “Getting Pretty Serious” talk so far! It’s about Elixir Code style which is something that is interesting to me (and not obvious from the title).

Thanks for posting them!

1 Like

Witchcraft: Monads for the Working Alchemist - Brooklyn Zelenka

4 Likes
1 Like

José’s keynote is up…

Keynote: The Feature That No One Knew About in Elixir 1.5 - José Valim - Elixir.LDN 2017

2 Likes

What feature is that? I won’t be able to watch anything with sound for at least a couple of days and I’m curious. ^.^;

1 Like

The talk is about the build up to storing the Elixir AST in BEAM files. It covers the lead up to that, like adding a “debug info” chunk to Erlang/OTP, and the far reaching gains, like Exception.blame/3 and breakpoints for iex.

3 Likes

What James said ^^ :lol:

(I got to the part where he was saying you can use :beam_libs to delve deeper into the generated BEAM files - and what I presume is what makes such detailed messages possible)

Introduce new “Dbgi” chunk #1367

Referenced:
How to debug quickly in phoenix/elixir?
Elixir v1.5 released: Exception.blame
Exception.blame/3
Elixir v1.5 released: IEx helpers and breakpoints
ElixirScript 0.30.0 Released

2 Likes

Cool, yeah I followed the new source debug chunk as it was developed, did not know if the video was about that or not. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everybody went crazy about the code formatting announcement but tbh I don’t care about that NEARLY as much as the stream dsta/property testing stuff.

2 Likes

Those are spoilers for the ElixirConf US talk (and not the Elixir.LDN one). :smile: Glad you appreciate it though!

2 Likes

Ha! My b. I still stand by my statement :smiley:

That’s an interesting video, nothing ground breaking, nothing what I’d use right away but stuff that takes time to figure out from changelogs, docs and source neatly packed into a short talk, I really enjoyed that.

What feature is that? I won’t be able to watch anything with sound for at least a couple of days and I’m curious. ^.^;

I’d add the phrase “type system” that was mentioned more then once near the end, so this is less impossible then it was before. As a more immediate consequence we might get a more useful dialyzer that works with Elixir AST :slight_smile: