zorn

zorn

A recent ex_money v6 upgrade was blocked because Timex pins an old gettext. Rather than one big remove-and-rewrite PR, I used a shim: a module that mirrors only the slice of the Timex API we used, backed by the standard library, and proven with tests that compare its output against real Timex. Then a second PR swaps the call sites and deletes Timex.

The post also covers the simpler case (just deleting a small-footprint dependency, like Faker, in a side project) and ties the approach back to seams, characterization tests, and the strangler-fig pattern.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Blog Posts Top

ryanzidago
Up until then, I found it very hard to communicate to LLMs that I specifically do not want to handle X case because maybe it has never ha...
New
UlfAnger
Hi all, I’ve built a small demo app to understand what an “AI agent” actually is under the hood, and to show it with Elixir’s own tools ...
New
pckrishnadas88
In Elixir, send/2 is non-blocking, which means an eager producer can easily flood a slow consumer’s mailbox. Because BEAM process mailbox...
New
tomazbracic
Secure boot and a verified root filesystem on an STM32MP157F-DK2 - with Nerves of course Four links of an authenticated boot chain on an ...
New
lawik
The words are insufficient to describe what transpired. What we tried to do met what the people wanted it to be. It became beautiful. Th...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews