Erlang/OTP 22.0 Release Candidate 2 has been released

The second release candidate of Erlang/OTP 22.0 has been released.

This is the second of three planned release candidates before the OTP 22 release.

The intention with this release is to get feedback from our users. All feedback is welcome, even if it is only to say that it works for you, as it lets us know that the release candidate got some testing.

Erlang/OTP 22 is a new major release with new features and improvements as well as incompatibilities.

48 Likes

Looking forward to the new socket interface!

What’s the projected timeline for socket replacing inet, I imagine it won’t happen in OTP 22? I haven’t tackled inet yet in enigma because I was hoping to avoid doing it with ports.

1 Like

Yes, definitely not in OTP 22.

It’s really too early to say, but given OTP’s focus on backward compatibility and how much hard work it is to implement socket code reliably on all platforms, I would expect socket and inet to exist side by side for a long time.

4 Likes

Couldn’t inet be defined as an abstraction layer over socket? So instead of implementing both, we could implement one and add abstraction layer in Erlang (that could be then back ported to the main repo, for example).

Yes, the plan is to re-implement inet on top of socket. I guess that we will still need to keep the old inet and inet driver around for backward compatibility reasons for some time. There is probably code out there that accidentally or deliberately depends on implementation details of the old inet, for example the fact that sockets are ports.

10 Likes