kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

Localize friendly bindings for Lua, LFE, Erlang and Gleam

Localize provides locale-aware formatting of numbers, dates, currencies, units, lists and MessageFormat 2 messages. It’s an Elixir library, but everything it does runs on the BEAM.

To be a good BEAM citizen I’ve always wanted to provide good bindings to other BEAM languages but ex_cldr had too much “magic” to make that realistic. With Localize its possible and practical.

The guiding principle: each binding follows its own language’s idioms as best I know how (will some help from my local neighbourhood LLM).

localize_lua

Targeted at Elixir Lual..

Motivated by ash_cms, which renders Lua templates and needs locale-aware formatting inside the sandbox. Every call returns a string and falls back gracefully, so an untrusted template can never crash the render.

localize_lfe

Is Localize support for LFE:

(localize:currency 1234.56 "EUR" 
  (list #(locale de)))

It implements charlist/binary/atom coercion and lisp-case option keys translated to Localize’s snake_case.

localize_erl

Idiomatic Erlang bindings. Per-concern modules (localize_number, localize_date, …), {ok, Binary} | {error, {Tag, Message}} returns matching Localize’s own contract, maps for options, binaries throughout.

localize_gleam

Provides bindings for Gleam. Gleam’s build tool compiles Elixir dependencies transparently, and two things line up very well: Localize’s {ok, _} / {error, _} is Gleam’s Result, and collation’s :lt/:eq/:gt is gleam/order.Order. On top sits a fully-typed surface — an Options record, a LocalizeError union, typed date inputs:

number.format(1234.56, localize.Options(..localize.default(), currency: Some("USD")))
//=> Ok("$1,234.56")

Feedback welcome - especially to help me make the interfaces as idiomatic as possible.

Library links

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews