nseaSeb

nseaSeb

The IETF published RFC 10008 in June 2026, standardizing a new HTTP method: QUERY. It’s meant to fill the gap between GET (safe/idempotent, but no defined body semantics) and POST (body support, but no safety guarantee) — useful for complex read-only searches with structured filter payloads. A few other ecosystems already have open discussions/issues about supporting it:

  • Spring Framework: open issue requesting `RequestMethod.QUERY`
  • Jakarta Servlet: open issue, with a Tomcat PR in progress
  • Fetch/WHATWG: fetch(url, { method: 'QUERY', body })

It already works at the JS level I couldn’t find any discussion about QUERY support in Cowboy or Plug. Has anyone looked into this, or is it too early to be worth tracking? Curious whether this is something the community sees value in, especially combined with hypermedia-style APIs (HATEOAS/JSON:API) where a QUERY could return both search results and the relevant action links in one request.

RFC:

Most Liked

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

As far as I know HTTP methods can be arbitrary. E.g. webdav does use additional methods beyond the http defined ones. So I’d expect the webservers like bandit or cowboy not needing to change. Those PRs were about making phoenix and plug adjust for the layers of behaviour they have on top of http, which are dependant on certain methods like when to parse the http body or router macros.

I think the change taking more time won’t be bare support, but actual usage of the new method by tools and libraries.

nseaSeb

nseaSeb OP

Thanks Kevin, I hadn’t seen those! Good to know it’s already being worked on.

Last Post!

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

I love the fact that we’re no longer bound to url encoded formatting for side effect free requests. But it’ll take time for existing solutions do adopt it. Like I don’t see graphql as an industry to instantly switch to query over post.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews