teofilosalgado

teofilosalgado

Hi all!
Recently I’ve been rewriting an old python downloader utility script in Elixir, but currently I am stuck in response header filtering.

I am starting my HTTPoison in a GenServer worker with:

    options = [
      stream_to: self(),
      timeout: :infinity,
      hackney: [:insecure, recv_timeout: :infinity]
    ]

    worker = HTTPoison.get(url, %{}, options)

then, I threat the response messages with a simple approach:

case message do
      %HTTPoison.AsyncHeaders{headers: headers} ->
        # Code I need goes here

      %HTTPoison.AsyncChunk{chunk: chunk} ->
        IO.binwrite(file, chunk)
        {:noreply, state}

      %HTTPoison.AsyncEnd{} ->
        File.close(file)
        {:stop, :normal, state}

      %HTTPoison.Error{reason: reason} ->
        {:stop, reason, state}

      _ ->
        {:noreply, state}
    end

My problem is that I need to strip from the headers the Content-Length and the status to handle errors like 404 or when my files exceed the specified maximum size. How could I accomplish that with HTTPoison? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help will be very appreciated!
Cheers.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

teofilosalgado

teofilosalgado OP

Well, after some time trying different approaches I finally managed to make it work with:

      %HTTPoison.AsyncStatus{code: code} when code >= 400 ->
        # So, turns out HTTPoison have the very convenient type AsyncStatus!
        {:stop, code, state}

      %HTTPoison.AsyncChunk{chunk: chunk} ->
        IO.binwrite(file, chunk)
        {:noreply, state}

      %HTTPoison.AsyncHeaders{headers: headers} ->
        headers_map = Enum.into(headers, %{})
        # Now I am able to access all headers just like a regular map!
        IO.inspect(headers_map["Content-Length"], label: "Content length: ")
        {:noreply, state}

      %HTTPoison.AsyncEnd{} ->
        File.close(file)
        {:stop, :normal, state}

      %HTTPoison.Error{reason: reason} ->
        {:stop, reason, state}

      _ ->
        {:noreply, state}
axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

Welcome to the forum! I’m glad you were able to get something working.

What was the format of headers before the Enum.into call? If it was a Keyword List then you could use Keyword.get(headers, "Content-Length") to get the Content-Length header. A keyword list is a better format to work with for headers since headers can be repeated with different values and you can’t represent that with a map since a map cannot have duplicate keys.

teofilosalgado

teofilosalgado OP

Oh thanks!

It unfortunately isn’t an Keyword List :slightly_frowning_face:. The keys aren’t atoms, they are regular tuple strings in a list like so: [{"Content-Length": "1549"}]. Is it possible to use Keyword List methods on such data structure?

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

It’s a proplist. There’s an erlang module to manage them. For example:
:proplists.get_value("abc", [{"abc", 123}])

teofilosalgado

teofilosalgado OP

Your solution worked like a charm! Didn’t know about the existance of this structure. Will defintely read more about it in the erlang documentation. Thank you!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews