Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin

I recently wrote some Elixir to format a list of strings (eg, author names) for output. I think it’s reasonably idiomatic, but I probably missed a few tricks. Suggestions, anyone?

-r

It should work like this…

iex(0)> list_str []    
""
iex(1)> list_str [1]
1
iex(2)> list_str [1,2]
"1 and 2"
iex(3)> list_str [1,2,3] 
"1, 2, and 3"

And now, the code… (ducks)

@doc """
Join a list of strings into a (mostly) comma-delimited string.
"""

def list_str( [] ), do: ""

def list_str( [ one ] ), do: one

def list_str( [ one, two ] ), do: "#{ one } and #{ two }"

def list_str(inp_list) do
  [ last | base_list ]  = Enum.reverse(inp_list)

  base_str  = base_list
  |> Enum.reverse()
  |> Enum.join(", ")

  "#{ base_str }, and #{ last }"
end

Showing Posts 1 to 10

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

Should probably be:

def list_str( [ one ] ), do: to_string(one)

Otherwise, looks fine to me.

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

In case whatever is coming in isn’t already a string. Agreed, but is this any better than (say) “#{ one }”?

blatyo

blatyo

Conduit Core Team

They should be the same. I personally tend to use to_string instead of interpolation, when it’s only the value that I’m converting to a string. I’d use interpolation when I want to convert the values to a string and concatenate with something else.

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

That seems to be clearer, in terms of expressing intent, but in this case one could argue for staying in the same style as the following clauses. Dunno…

peerreynders

peerreynders

When it comes to serial commas the comma before the “and” is optional - it just can’t be there if you have less than three items.

So I guess recursion isn’t idiomatic?

  def list_str([]),
    do: ""

  def list_str([one]),
    do: to_string(one)

  def list_str(list),
    do: list_str(list, [])

  defp list_str([], [h, n | t]),
    do: list_to_str(t, to_string(n) <> " and " <> to_string(h))

  defp list_str([h | t], rest),
    do: list_str(t, [h | rest])

  defp list_to_str([], str),
    do: str

  defp list_to_str([h | t], str),
    do: list_to_str(t, to_string(h) <> ", " <> str)

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

Thank you for that tour de force, Peer. However, it doesn’t produce the requested result, so a picky client might complain and a picky test suite would certainly fail. Do you have a version that would pass?

As I’m sure you realize, omission of the Oxford comma can lead to ambiguity. To cite a well known example, “I’d like to thank my parents, God and Mother Teresa…” So, pedants like me don’t consider it to be optional. (Then again, I also use a lot of optional parentheses and spaces in my code…)

Leaving that issue aside, I wonder about the use of <>. Is this version

to_string(n) <> " and " <> to_string(h)

actually better for some reason (e.g., faster) than this version?

 "#{ n } and #{ h }"

Finally, although your recursive approach is most impressive, does it have any other benefits (aside from its stunning clarity and simplicity) that you can suggest? Inquiring gnomes need to mine…

peerreynders

peerreynders

Consistent version

  def list_str([]),
    do: ""

  def list_str([one]),
    do: to_string(one)

  def list_str(list),
    do: list_str(list, [])

  defp list_str([], [h, n]),
    do: list_to_str([], to_string(n) <> " and " <> to_string(h))

  defp list_str([], [h, n | t]),
    do: list_to_str(t, to_string(n) <> ", and " <> to_string(h))

  defp list_str([h | t], rest),
    do: list_str(t, [h | rest])

  defp list_to_str([], str),
    do: str

  defp list_to_str([h | t], str),
    do: list_to_str(t, to_string(h) <> ", " <> str)

Easy version

  def list_str([]),
    do: ""

  def list_str([one]),
    do: to_string(one)

  def list_str([one, two]),
    do: to_string(one) <> " and " <> to_string(two)

  def list_str(list),
    do: list_str(list, [])

  defp list_str([], [h, n | t]),
    do: list_to_str(t, to_string(n) <> ", and " <> to_string(h))

  defp list_str([h | t], rest),
    do: list_str(t, [h | rest])

  defp list_to_str([], str),
    do: str

  defp list_to_str([h | t], str),
    do: list_to_str(t, to_string(h) <> ", " <> str)

actually better for some reason (e.g., faster) than this version?

Haven’t looked at it too deeply - my gut-response is that it likely should be faster but that doesn’t preclude some smarty-pants compile time magic from proving me wrong and even if there is runtime overhead it could be minimal - though I wouldn’t count on it without verification.

Rich_Morin

Rich_Morin OP

EEx uses “some smarty-pants compile time magic” to turn Phoenix templates into sets of functions; this form of string interpolation doesn’t seem all that different to this newbie…

NobbZ

NobbZ

The second versions is syntactic sugar for the second.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

There’s also cldr_lists, which can do that for you. Especially if you might need multiple languages I’d look into that.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews