pba

pba

I am writing a rate-limiter for a code executer using Genstage. My code looks like this [hope the post is not too long :smiley: ]

        +-------------------+   +----------+
        | ExecutionRequester|   |  Ticker  |
        | :producer         |   |:producer |
        +-------------------+   +----------+
        |      +-------------------+    |
  :exec_request| TickerExecutor    |    |:tick
        +------> :producer_consumer<----+
               +-------------------+
                |
                |   +--------------+
                |   |ResultConsumer|
                +--->  :consumer   |
                    +--------------+

TickerExecutor should consume from both ExecutionRequester and Ticker, and do a zip operation:
Only 1 :exec_request is allowed for 1 :tick event produced by Ticker.

I have implemented :manual subscription handling for the TickerExecutor → ExecutionRequester subscription, but felt like 90% of the code (:min_demand, :max_demand) is reimplementing GenStages :automatic subscription. I’m, weary of doing the same for the Ticker subscription, before asking.
As of now I’m consuming and wasting :tick events when TickerExecutor is starved of :exec_requests
Thus my 2 questions:

  • Is there a way to announce to GenStage the actual consumption [Edit: or rejection] of events, and not just the delivery via GenStage.handle_events/3?
  • Is there a cleaner way to do a zip between two subscription event streams on a :consumer, than just going :manual on both subsctiptions ?

Edit: @admins I have found no Tags for GenStage or the Experimental Module. Would it be ok to add them?

Showing Posts 1 to 4

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Is there a way to announce to GenStage the actual consumption

I am not sure it is clear what you want to announce here? Which stage should tell the other stage what?

Is there a cleaner way to do a zip between two subscription event streams on a :consumer, than just going :manual on both subsctiptions ?

So after thinking about the use case you described above, I am wondering if it wouldn’t be better for you to have a ExecutionRequester as a separate process that you request every time there is a tick. With max_Demand of 1 and a zip, GenStage is not buying you anything for the first three processes: it would be quite equivalent to using regular processes.

The only scenario zip would make in GenStage is if we could still have a high demand value (and you would have back-pressure if one of the sources is slower but typically not). If we ever implement something like this, it would be as Flow.zip.

pba

pba OP

Hi,
Thanks for answering!

Right now accepting a handle_events/3 call [EDIT: in a :consumer] is the same has having actually handled the events. In reality the Consmer can wait for events from another subscription. What I would like is to use :automatic subscriptions, but be able to freeze the demand. so that backpressure is built up on ExecutionRequester while i still accept events from Ticker.

Well it buys you an easy way to subscribe to a multitude of tickers in a structured (a.k.a. documented by @josevalim :smiley: ) way .

I only now realize that Ticker could provide a flexible rate-limiter for Flow pipes. Just zip in a :tick event stream, and you know exactly how many and how often items are processed, by controlling the emission behaviour of the Ticker producer.

Right now i have implemented:

  • rate per second
  • maximum item count per interval (e.g 1500 per day for free goolgle geolocation calls)
  • bucketed handling of [EDIT: :tick event allocation per interval].

So If you are undecided about Flow.zip I hope to find some time to separate that functionality from the Ticker and make a separate lib. Who knows who needs ratelimiting for Flow Pipes.

P.S. See you next week in Sofia :smiley:

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Well it buys you an easy way to subscribe to a multitude of tickers in a structured (a.k.a. documented by @josevalim :smiley: ) way .

Sorry, to be clearer, I meant only the ExecutionRequester being GenStage. You should keep the rest! :smiley:

So If you are undecided about Flow.zip

I will be glad to add that. Can you please open up an issue?

pba

pba OP

done: #83

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews