augnustin

augnustin

Hello,

I’m wondering how to handle emails properly in a phoenix application. There doesn’t appear to be a standard way of doing this, which surprises me.

Coming from the Rails world, my first intention is to bind transaction emails to data actions.

Eg. A Model can be submitted, and this action triggers a ModelEmail.submitted(query).

But if I want to call Model.submit(model) in a console where only the Repo context is Loaded, not the Endpoint, I get:

** (ArgumentError) argument error
    (stdlib) :ets.lookup(MyApp.Endpoint, :__phoenix_url__)
    (phoenix) lib/phoenix/config.ex:42: Phoenix.Config.cache/3
    (vae) web/router.ex:1: MyApp.Router.Helpers.application_url/4
    (vae) web/emails/model_email.ex:83: MyApp.ModelEmail.submit/1

because the email makes the use of the Endpoint to get absolute URLs in the email: Routes.model_url(Endpoint, :show, model)

So how should this be done?

IMHO, Sending email should be independent from starting the server, as the only necessary thing is the base URL.

Shouldn’t emails be in a separate process, which can be initialized if desired, and which will receive, either a conn, or an Enpoint or eventually a string like https://example.com so that paths like /path are turned into https://example.com/path?

What are the best practices here? I guess I’m not the first one to have this issue…

Showing Posts 1 to 2

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Route helpers also work with %URI{} structs.

augnustin

augnustin OP

Hey,

Upping it here, I still have issues.

Though I successfully use:

MyAppWeb.Router.Helpers.root_url(struct(URI, Application.get_env(:my_app, MyAppWeb.Endpoint)[:url]), :index)

The same with static_url doesn’t :frowning:

> MyAppWeb.Router.Helpers.static_url(struct(URI, Application.get_env(:my_app, MyAppWeb.Endpoint)[:url]), :index)

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in MyAppWeb.Router.Helpers.static_url/2    
    
    The following arguments were given to MyAppWeb.Router.Helpers.static_url/2:
    
        # 1
        %URI{
          authority: nil,
          fragment: nil,
          host: "localhost",
          path: nil,
          port: 80,
          query: nil,
          scheme: "http",
          userinfo: nil
        }
    
        # 2
        "/images/my-image.jpg"
    
    Attempted function clauses (showing 3 out of 3):
    
        def static_url(%Plug.Conn{private: private}, path)
        def static_url(%_{endpoint: endpoint} = conn, path)
        def static_url(endpoint, path) when is_atom(endpoint)
    
    (my_app) lib/my_app_web/router.ex:1: MyAppWeb.Router.Helpers.static_url/2
    (my_app) lib/my_app_web/emails/job_seeker_email.ex:51: MyAppWeb.UserEmail.campaign/2

Any idea why and how to add images in my email contents?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews