crisdegraciadev

crisdegraciadev

Hey guys,

I’m relatively new to Elixir world. Currently I’m working on a GraphQL API with Absinthe. All is going right, I have done some logic, some tests to the business logic layer, etc.

Now I’m trying to test my web layer (resolvers), but every time I’m stuck getting this response every time I try to make a request from ExUnit.

%{
  "errors" => [
    %{
      "locations" => [%{"column" => 1, "line" => 1}],
      "message" => "Parsing failed at `--plug_con`"
    }
  ]
}

The app works just fine from Postman, here it’s my test file

defmodule Test.Web.Resolver.Session do
  alias Mix.Tasks.Phx.Routes
  use Test.Setup.ConnCase, async: true

  @login_mutation """
  query GetUser($id: ID!){
    user(id: $id) {
        id,
        email,
        firstName,
        posts {
            id,
            title
        }
    }
  }
  """

  setup %{conn: conn} do
    :ok
  end

  test "prueba", %{conn: conn} do
    conn =
      post(conn, "/api/graphql", %{
        "mutation" => @login_mutation,
        "variables" => %{id: 1}
      })

    IO.inspect(conn)
    IO.inspect(json_response(conn, 200))
  end
end

Any idea why is this happening?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Hi @crisdegraciadev welcome! That is a very strange error, I’ve never seen it before.

There are definitely a few things that are strange about your test though.

  1. You have something called @login_mutation that is a graphql query, not a mutation. It also doesn’t look like it does a login
  2. you are using the "mutation" key for the document, but the document key in the POST body should always be "query" whether it’s a mutation doc or otherwise

Are you able to put your code up somewhere that I can see this happen?

crisdegraciadev

crisdegraciadev OP

Nvm, I though that If it was a mutation I should call it mutation instead of query :slight_smile:.

About the mess with @login_mutation, I was testing some things, but now i’t solved as working.
Thanks!

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

It helps future readers if you show how you solved it.

crisdegraciadev

crisdegraciadev OP

I did it :sweat_smile:

I though that If it was a mutation I should call it mutation instead of query

paulstatezny

paulstatezny

I just ran into this as well.

Just to clarify, the problem here was @benwilson512 's (2):

you are using the "mutation" key for the document, but the document key in the POST body should always be "query" whether it’s a mutation doc or otherwise

So this:

post(conn, "/api/graphql", %{
  "mutation" => @login_mutation,
  "variables" => %{id: 1}
})

Should have been this:

post(conn, "/api/graphql", %{
  "query" => @login_mutation,
  "variables" => %{id: 1}
})
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews