AstonJ
While on the theme of routers:
How do you secure yours/your internet?
Trending in Dev Env & Tools
I have really enjoyed dialing in a set of static analysis tools and skills that help me help LLMs write better code. One gap I haven’t se...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
arcanemachine
I put all devices on the DMZ and brace for attack. It’s the only way I can really be sure my network is battle-ready.
Seriously though, I just rely on the firewall in my ISP’s modem, and I try to open as few ports as possible.
I really should get some sort of Tailscale/VPN-esque solution working though…
AstonJ
This is what I do too (tho I do not use ISP modems). I also limit the upload speeds for my Mac - so if the machine does ever get compromised it would take them a few months to copy over all my files
sezaru
Buy a machine with pfsense in it, there are a bunch of them available in Amazon, not only you get a great firewall, but you also get a bunch of neat features (ad blocking via pfblockerng, easy VPN configuration, etc), it is really worth it IMO.
Some of these machines also allow you to put a SIM chip in it, meaning that you can configure it to be a fallback if your main internet drops for some reason.
Also, keep in mind that these firewalls in the ISP modem are very likely to have backdoors and security holes since they are not updated after some time. So, if you really worry about security, a solution like Pfsense is the way to go.
odd
I use OpenWrt with AdGuard, with separate wired networks for
I also have a wifi for personal use and another wifi that goes through a VPN (vpn runs on the router).
Sounds unnecessarily complex but it started out as a way to learn about networking and there hasn’t been a good reason to change it since.
And also to answer the question, there’s a firewall on the router and also on my computers.