funboy

funboy

Hi,

I built a small utility tool mainly for running test partitions, generating coverage reports, and rerunning failed tests across all partitions.
I managed to speed up test suite from 20min down to 6min :smiley:

check --green run

Why a binary instead of a Mix task?

When you run a Mix task, you often have to wait for the whole project to compile first, especially in large projects. Sometimes you’re waiting longer for compilation than for the task itself.

check avoids that completely. It’s an escript binary that directly runs the commands it needs.

The main feature is test partitioning.

Instead of running all tests one after another, check splits them into multiple partitions and runs them in parallel.

check                # runs tests in 3 partitions by default
check --partitions 6 # use more partitions on bigger machines

Coverage is merged automatically after all partitions finish.

You can also run only tests affected by your changes:

check --only modified_tests

This is quite granular. If you change a single test, only that test is run. If you change a describe setup, only tests in that block are run.

You can find a guide on how to set up your project to run tests using partitions here :crossed_fingers:

Maybe some of you will find it useful too :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Showing Posts 1 to 4

funboy

funboy OP

Hi,

I’ve enhanced the check tool with dense coverage.

Problem:

Coverage output is too noisy. On large projects, it prints percentages for thousands of modules, even if I only changed a handful of files. The information I care about gets lost in the noise.

Solution:

al_check now diffs against the base branch and reports coverage only for new and modified files, grouped by change type with per-group average coverage.

Try it


  {:al_check, "~> 0.1.24"}

  mix deps.get
  mix check.install   # or: mix check.build && ./deps/al_check/scripts/check
  check               # run everything, get the change-scoped coverage report

more details → Coverage you’ll actually read

funboy

funboy OP

btw, is anyone here using the check tool? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

funboy

funboy OP

Yep, ex_check is great! I was just missing a few features, like running tests in partitions and using a prebuilt binary to avoid compiling the project before the first check starts. That’s why I ended up building my own tool :smiley:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Dev Env & Tools Top

srowley
I have really enjoyed dialing in a set of static analysis tools and skills that help me help LLMs write better code. One gap I haven’t se...
New
AstonJ
Curious whether anyone is taking any specific precautions, such as creating new non-administrative user-accounts and then simply copying ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews